• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Smart Plugs

Kevin Eades

Does anyone else use smart plugs to control their aquarium? Got fed up with cheap timers keep breaking plus they are noisy. Was looking at digital timers but bought a 4 pack of smart plugs instead. Have them set to come on and off on timers. Control co2 light filter and heater. Have routines setup to turn off equipment on water change and feeding and can control via alexa. It's now turned into an obsession and the house is slowly turning smart. 3 of the tanks and various lights. The other half has said I need to setup some smart switches as the phone isn't practical lol

The history of smart plugs hasn't always been favourable, some members @ian_m had had issues with them in the past and he went down the PLC route, how the latest smart plugs are for reliability he may have some input....
They seem to be working well so far been running a couple of months so far. Survived a power outage and time with no WiFi. I've had more issue with timers been through 3 this year alone

I use the TP-link Kasa ones and they seem to be working well. They are fairly cheap and very easy to configure through the app. I haven't set up and Google routines for them but ai am sure that would work fine if I chose to go down this route.
For me, I always found the digital timers a pain to set up and ended up googling a manual every time. With smart plugs it is intuitive.

I’m using TP-Link Tapo plugs to control almost everything on 3 tanks. They work faultlessly for me, and are very convenient.

I've been using 2 x 4 way (individually programable) smart extension leads for 6 months with no problems so far.
As said above, the old single mechanical and digital timers proved pretty unreliable for me.

Back