• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail help

Badjester1

Hi, currently cycling tank (fishless) and it's very close to cycling. Added a fair amount of plants over the weeks. This has introduced snails. They're tiny and I mean minute, so getting a photo is probably impossible. They move with their shells flat to the substrate, they're on the glass and they even float about. My question is what type of snail does this sound like? Because obviously I'm worried about my plants. However they seem more interested in the diatoms I have due to cycling. So I don't know whether to deal with them or leave them as they're actually helping keep the diatoms low at the minute. Also I'm adding ammonia which doesn't seem to be bothering them. Although the ammonia is converting pretty quickly now and my nitrites are coming down. So I can't add assassin's just yet until the cycle is complete. I assume these snails are extremely common and just wondering if I need to get rid or leave them? Many thanks.

They’re likely to be bladder snails (Physella Acuta). A very common snail that hitch hikes in on plants. They cause no harm, other than they are prolific breeders and will soon be everywhere (given there’s a large enough food source).
You can always manually remove whenever you do maintenance, or employ the help of something like an assassin snail (Anentome Helena).

My question is what type of snail does this sound like? Because obviously I'm worried about my plants. However they seem more interested in the diatoms I have due to cycling. So I don't know whether to deal with them or leave them as they're actually helping keep the diatoms low at the minute. Also I'm adding ammonia which doesn't seem to be bothering them. Although the ammonia is converting pretty quickly now and my nitrites are coming down. So I can't add assassin's just yet until the cycle is complete. I assume these snails are extremely common and just wondering if I need to get rid or leave them? Many thanks.
Leave them. There are doing you a favor, unless you are like those aquascapers that can't stand the sight of snails else they implode of anger and need to consult a psychiatrist because snails are the worst evil on the planet and destroys their view of what a perfect tank should look like. Seriously though, they won't do any harm to your plants. As long as you don't overfeed, snail population no matter what the SP is, can be kept under control. Most people having tons and tons of snail reproducing is because:
1. their tank is not balanced and have plenty of decaying matter,
2. because they overfeed.
As simple as that.

So I can't add assassin's just yet until the cycle is complete
Don't think you need them. They will in turn also reproduce, but granted at a much slower pace. If you still want assassin snails, I would only add 1. In my experience, in planted tanks they are not necessary.

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the replies. I don't mind them and they seem to be doing good if anything atm. I've Googled a fair bit and they seem to be dwarf ramshorn snails. They multiply at one hell of a rate though! :oops: I've attached a pic but it was extremely difficult to take one as they're about 2mm max so they're tiny, so I zoomed right in. They're kinda cute with their tiny heads just visible popping up lol. The tank is unbalanced at the minute as I'm coming to the end of cycling. Just waiting for those nitrites to get to zero too now! As I said I had/have diatoms but they're going now as the tank stabilises. Glad to say I've had no algae's so far. I'll leave the snails for now but I think at the rate they're multiplying I'll have to see to them.

Attachments

• IMG20220531223844.jpg
    IMG20220531223844.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 104
I have to say, I like snails!
I have them in all my tanks, mainly the red or bronze ramshorns but I did notice a couple of bladder snails in the temperate tank the other day.
It's nice watching them chug around waving their little feelers & in nano tanks they seem more in proportion with the rest of the inhabitants!
@Hanuman is quite right, they can become troublesome if you overfeed. 🐌

I have to say, I like snails!
I have them in all my tanks, mainly the red or bronze ramshorns but I did notice a couple of bladder snails in the temperate tank the other day.
It's nice watching them chug around waving their little feelers & in nano tanks they seem more in proportion with the rest of the inhabitants! @Hanuman is quite right, they can become troublesome if you overfeed. 🐌
They have plenty of food at the minute as they're chomping on the diatoms. Although I've been taking out the majority with water changes/syphon every so often. Pleased to say that the plants are competing with the diatoms and winning now. They were covered but there's only some small patches on the substrate now. The snails often just float around as they're so small. You can see their little heads waving around with their feelers. Quite funny to watch. Just checked my water and still reading nitrites so still not fully cycled 😭 Any day now! Feels like it's been cycling forever.

Hi all,
Quite funny to watch. Just checked my water and still reading nitrites so still not fully cycled 😭 Any day now! Feels like it's been cycling forever.
currently cycling tank (fishless) and it's very close to cycling. Added a fair amount of plants over the weeks.
Stop adding ammonia, it isn't necessary and it may prolong the time until your tank is "fish safe".
I assume these snails are extremely common and just wondering if I need to get rid or leave them?
I'm a snail fan.

cheers Darrel

Back