• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Snail Identification

Harry Muscle

I'm trying to identify this snail:

IMG_20150117_181925.jpg

I used to have it many years ago and now that I'm getting back into the hobby I really would like to get some again, but first I need to figure out what they were so I can find someone with them.

They behaved very similar to normal Malaysian Trumpet Snails but seemed to stay smaller and weren't as fast at breeding, at least for me.

Thanks,
Harry

I'm trying to identify this snail:

IMG_20150117_181925.jpg

I used to have it many years ago and now that I'm getting back into the hobby I really would like to get some again, but first I need to figure out what they were so I can find someone with them.

They behaved very similar to normal Malaysian Trumpet Snails but seemed to stay smaller and weren't as fast at breeding, at least for me.

Thanks,
Harry

European pond snail??

http://www.aquariumbible.com/papershell-snail-lymnaea-radix-auricularia

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi all,
The description and the truncated shell spire (basically they are flattened at the pointy end) makes me think they might be Tarebia (Melanoides) granifera.

Melanoides-granifera-600-x-600.jpg

cheers Darrel

Look at the tentacles on their head.. :) All Lymnaea (pondsnails) regardless their house shape or markings unmistakably have those little triangular Bat ear tentacles..
20Grote%20poelslak,%20Saxifraga-Kees%20Marijnissen.jpg

The one blader snail P. Acuta, shell wise could be mistaken for a young pond snail but has different tentacles.
220px-Physa_acuta_001.jpg

That way you can easily determine what it is not..

What throws me off is this little detail in your picture, the heavily serrated shell edge at the front. Never seen it before in any frshwater snail picture..

Knipsel.JPG

I also think that @dw1305 is very close and it's a Thiaridae family member. :)

Whatever it is, those serrations are not likely on the shell but rather the soft tissue edge of the mantle.

Whatever it is, those serrations are not likely on the shell but rather the soft tissue edge of the mantle.

Intersting.. :) Never seen it before.. Could be an ID mark, but also wouldn't know how to narrow the search with that feature.

You have the little ridges on Malaysian trumpet snails (a quick Google confirms). I find it hard to see past a mts in the first image that has lost the end of its shell. I also wonder if mts describes a number of similar species rather than just one.

As Darrel says that snail is Tarebia Granifera. It stays smaller than Melanoides. I actually have a breeding population of black Tarebia Granifera I picked up in Switzerland - really beautiful. Happy to send you some if you PM me with your address.

Cheers

Thank you for everyone's responses, much appreciated. I was able to track down some old pictures from the ad which originally led me to these snails years ago:

ccfb6011.jpg

bb0e6a06.jpg

They are not the best of pictures but I was wondering if these help confirm that these snails were in fact Melanoides Granifera?

The reason I ask is because I was able to find someone selling some Melanoides Granifera but here's the picture he provided:

image1-snails.jpg

They seem to look very different to me but I'm not the expert.

Thanks,
Harry

Back