• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
  • You can now follow UKAPS on Instagram.

Snails vs Shrimp

Superman

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2008
Messages
1,804
Location
Cheltenham
Right, I've realised in my non-planted tank that algae is a problem and have found that having a BN and an apple snail.

However, I expect that this is not enough as I get algae each week after water changes and gravel vac. Even when I reduce the amount of food I give the fish.

In my re organise, I was planning on getting shrimp, but wondered what the pros and cons of each (shrimp and snail) and whats the best in a planted tank with Tiger Barbs, Danios and a baby Bristlenose?

Any help would be appreciated.
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
I can't imagine any shrimp surviving for too long in a tank with Tiger Barbs! Maybe some large Amanos might but they'd be very vulnerable when they shed. As to snails, Nerites seem to be a good choice.

What kind of algae is it? Maybe you should stick with other algae eating fish? SAEs will eat thread and BBA, Otos will eat the green algaes so maybe a combination of those might work?
 

Superman

Member
Thread starter
Joined
29 Jan 2008
Messages
1,804
Location
Cheltenham
I get green algae on the glass at the back and gravel.

Then theres like brown hair stuff on the few plants I've got in there.

Then there's like slimey stuff overing a plastic plant carpet.

Thanks, I'll have a look into the nerites, I don't think I've got much space for more fish at the minute.
 

Ed Seeley

Member
Joined
3 Jul 2007
Messages
3,261
Location
Nottingham
Superman said:
I get green algae on the glass at the back and gravel.

Then theres like brown hair stuff on the few plants I've got in there.

Then there's like slimey stuff overing a plastic plant carpet.

Thanks, I'll have a look into the nerites, I don't think I've got much space for more fish at the minute.

It sounds a bit like the organic wastes in that tank may be too high. Your best bet to removing the algae might be to really up the water changes. Your fish will love the extra water and the algae will be removed at every water change if you syphon it out. Do you have any plants in there? Maybe some Java fern on the decor might help a bit too? Or some quick growing floating plants like Frogbit?
 

Superman

Member
Thread starter
Joined
29 Jan 2008
Messages
1,804
Location
Cheltenham
Further to this thread...

My nerites died after a while as they were in bad condition from the ebay seller.

Anyway, that was pre-planted tank and now since then I bought 10 cherry shrimp which died one after another. I was feeding them but they didn't survive.

I'm just wondering if I should give shrimp a try once more as I don't like the idea of getting overrun by trumpet snails. In addition, I like the idea of being able to see what's in my tank!

Although, I would of thought that snails are better at cleaning algae off glass and rocks?

I just seem to think there's positives for each and don't know which ones better!! HELP! :D
 

Wolfenrook

Member
Joined
30 Apr 2008
Messages
336
Location
West Midlands UK
Ok, so your snails died, and then your cherry shrimp died.... Hmmm, when did you use a copper based medication last in your tank, or add new plants? Or are you adding water straight from the tap without running it first in a home with new copper piping?

Stop trying to treat the symptoms of the problem, and get down to the cause! Something is causing excess algae growth in there, and this is what you need to deal with, not the actual algae itself.

As has been said on here so many times, the usual suspects are poor circulation, poor maintenance, unstable CO2 levels (in planted tanks) or excessive lighting periods (less than 10 hours, but 8 or more, usually advised), or any combination of these.

Inverts aren't just tools to be used to eat your algae, they are living creatures and should only purchased if you actually want them for themselves and are going to care for them and provide them with the conditions that they need to survive.

Ade
 

Superman

Member
Thread starter
Joined
29 Jan 2008
Messages
1,804
Location
Cheltenham
Wolfenrook said:
Ok, so your snails died, and then your cherry shrimp died.... Hmmm, when did you use a copper based medication last in your tank, or add new plants? Or are you adding water straight from the tap without running it first in a home with new copper piping?

Stop trying to treat the symptoms of the problem, and get down to the cause! Something is causing excess algae growth in there, and this is what you need to deal with, not the actual algae itself.

As has been said on here so many times, the usual suspects are poor circulation, poor maintenance, unstable CO2 levels (in planted tanks) or excessive lighting periods (less than 10 hours, but 8 or more, usually advised), or any combination of these.

Inverts aren't just tools to be used to eat your algae, they are living creatures and should only purchased if you actually want them for themselves and are going to care for them and provide them with the conditions that they need to survive.

Ade

Thanks Ade.
I am working on the causes of the algae problem and am improving the filtration and circulation in the coming weeks/days.
I've not used any copper based medication but did introduce some plants which on reflection could of been treated using copper.
I'm not using them as mere "algae army" who if they die I'm not sad. I want to provide them with a good home and long life.
 

Similar threads

Top