Snails

aaronnorth

Member
Joined
19 Feb 2008
Messages
3,953
Location
worksop, nottinghamshire
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
nice, but your porcupine/staghorns are soooo expensive Richard. Unless theyre ginormous I guess.
they are cool though 8)

what is th average size of all of the species? and i am right in thinking they dont breed in freshwater correct?
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,910
Location
London
aaronnorth said:
what is th average size of all of the species? and i am right in thinking they dont breed in freshwater correct?
They need brakish water to breed!
 

johnny70

Member
Joined
1 Dec 2007
Messages
636
Location
Bakewell, Derbsyhire
I got some bee Staghorn nerites the other day, just wanted standard ones, but no one had any stock, now AE do, arghhhhh......................


JOHNNY
 
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
963
Location
Dorset, UK
LondonDragon said:
aaronnorth said:
what is th average size of all of the species? and i am right in thinking they dont breed in freshwater correct?
They need brakish water to breed!
yep, they sure do.. but it doesnt stop them welding white eggs to everything! :)

seriously though, lovely snails nerites, I want some more of them.
 
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
963
Location
Dorset, UK
aaronnorth said:
Good, i dont want them to breed! Are the white eggs like the ones in jelly? Very small? I'm not bothered about them, you cant see them much anyway.
not like any other snails eggs really.. layed individually, and nigh on impossible to remove. They can be a bit of a nightmare as they can lay prolifically.... however, its a small price to pay for such a wonderful creature.
 

JamieH

Member
Joined
27 Apr 2008
Messages
73
Wow.... I love AE, I really do... But they are some expensive snails... they sell red zebra snails at pets at home for £2.50!
 

Aqua Essentials

Sponsor
Staff member
Joined
24 Jan 2008
Messages
1,386
Location
Devon
Hi Guys

The snails vary in size from 0.8cm (porcupine) to larger nerites which are about 1.5cm (some are smaller).

With regards to price, that's the best I can do at the moment but am doing my best to source cheaper one's.
 

AndyTaylor

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2008
Messages
62
Hi, i've actually sent you a message through your site but will the Ruby Nerites really survive in a tank with Loaches? 3 5 inch Clowns to be specific.
I could really do with some prolific algae eaters but I'm not paying 2.99 each for Loach food! :lol:
 
Joined
10 Jun 2007
Messages
963
Location
Dorset, UK
AndyTaylor said:
Hi, i've actually sent you a message through your site but will the Ruby Nerites really survive in a tank with Loaches? 3 5 inch Clowns to be specific.
Unlikely any snails will survive with clowns, of any size.
 

AndyTaylor

Member
Joined
1 Jul 2008
Messages
62
That's what I would have though. The description of the Ruby Nerite on AE suggests otherwise.
 

LondonDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Joined
21 Feb 2008
Messages
10,910
Location
London
AndyTaylor said:
That's what I would have though. The description of the Ruby Nerite on AE suggests otherwise.
From another website that sells them:

Do NOT keep snails with loaches (sucking loaches are ok), pufferfish, crabs, crayfish or large aggressive fish as they will kill snails.
Guess it depends on the loaches ;)
 

Aqua Essentials

Sponsor
Staff member
Joined
24 Jan 2008
Messages
1,386
Location
Devon
spaldingaquatics said:
Hi,

when are you getting more snails in stock?
They sold much quicker than we expected! We're getting more next week

PM me if you would like an email when they arrive
 

beeky

Member
Joined
21 Aug 2007
Messages
879
Location
Chippenham, Wiltshire
JamieH said:
Wow.... I love AE, I really do... But they are some expensive snails... they sell red zebra snails at pets at home for £2.50!
Yes, my local P@H does to. Unfortunately, they're all upside down and there's no one at home..... :rolleyes: :lol: Nice if you like collecting shells though.
 
Top