• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Carbondioxide

Sponsor
UKAPS Team
Ohh, the plague! 🐌🐌🐌 😲 Snail plague in the aquarium? There is nothing worse than seeing your aquarium being taken over and even destroyed some plants by snails multiplying like mad! (worse than rabbits πŸ‡ πŸ™ˆ)
Don't say we didn't warn you πŸ˜ƒ Our article this week is all about these little creatures, so well worth a read, so you don't get caught out πŸ˜‰
Screenshot 2022-08-24 at 11.43.22.png

πŸ’₯ Different ways of fighting snails in the aquarium
πŸ’₯ Pros and cons of these methods
πŸ’₯ What can be the cause of the snail invasion?
Enjoy our article 'The plague of snails in the aquarium' and let us know if you have a snail-free aquarium or have just learned to live with them.

There is nothing worse than seeing your aquarium being taken over and even destroyed some plants by snails multiplying like mad! (worse than rabbits πŸ‡ πŸ™ˆ)
Don't say we didn't warn you πŸ˜ƒ
How unfair to the snails. I have several species of "pest" snails in my tank and they do a wonderful job of cleaning the plants and turning over the substrate. I havent learned to live with them, I would not be without them!

Overfeeding the tank is mentioned briefly in the intro and then chemical treatments are listed as the first solution, before continuing through a rather strange list of suggested treatments. The article ends on a better note but your intro here and the title makes snails seem like a huge problem.

Recommending clown loach as a potential solution even for a tank at 100+cm is bad advice, as they will grow to 30+ cm and like to destroy plants for fun. I assume most of your market is into plants.

Honestly disappointed in this article and whoever is in charge of the PR lately. You can do better.

Completely agree with @Hufsa

Mentioning snails are normally caused by feeding to much and then completely ignoring the fact you should simply cut down the feeding is a little bizarre. It's also a little unfair to call them pests when they are simply cleaning up our poor aquarist skills.

Hi all,
How unfair to the snails. I have several species of "pest" snails in my tank and they do a wonderful job of cleaning the plants and turning over the substrate. I havent learned to live with them, I would not be without them!
<"Snail fan as well">.

This is the "Tadpole Snail" <"Physella acuta">, how cute is that? If it was a new introduction, from somewhere exotic, every-one would want one.

Bladder-snails-Physa-acuta.jpg

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
There is nothing worse than seeing your aquarium being taken over and even destroyed some plants by snails multiplying like mad!
Nothing worse??? Oh boy, have you got some fun ahead of you!

Honestly send your snails to me I'll give them a loving home. Poor snails have such unearned bad press, they're not a pest, they're a delight!

Recommending clown loach as a potential solution even for a tank at 100+cm is bad advice, as they will grow to 30+ cm and like to destroy plants for fun.
And they are shoaling fish; you need a huge tank for a group of them.

Nothing worse??? Oh boy, have you got some fun ahead of you!

Honestly send your snails to me I'll give them a loving home. Poor snails have such unearned bad press, they're not a pest, they're a delight!
Don’t ever add a trochus snail to your macro algae bowl.
They can cloud large tanks when they’re spawning.

I personally don’t mind em, I wouldn’t pay money for them, but I get plenty from getting plants :) they clean the glass, and keep plants clean. All good in my eyes.

Overfeeding the tank is mentioned briefly
I don't know what you guys think but I've always thought this more so applied to tanks with little plant mass. In a planted or botanical aquarium there is literally always food for a snail whether you feed or not?

Even my recent biotope tank for example. One mini ramshorn snail made its way into the tank at setup and the population really boomed. Yet I didn't feed the tank at all...it only had hardscape and plants in it for the best part of 6 weeks. So they were eating something...

Not to say overfeeding won't exacerbate the problem.

In a planted or botanical aquarium there is literally always food for a snail whether you feed or not?
Hmm, maybe they're feeding on the botanicals? Ive been able to adjust snail population up and down at will in my tank just by adjusting the feeding. In a tank with mostly healthy plants and not a lot of decaying matter (botanicals / wood) I think they might not find that much to eat to "boom" on their own

Hmm, maybe they're feeding on the botanicals? Ive been able to adjust snail population up and down at will in my tank just by adjusting the feeding. In a tank with mostly healthy plants and not a lot of decaying matter (botanicals / wood) I think they might not find that much to eat to "boom" on their own
I reckon it must have been the botanicals since no other food entered the tank.

I'll have to try the feeding control next time I get an MTS invasion! πŸ˜…

Back