• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

snowball shrimplets and amano adults

a1Matt

I recently added some snowballs to my tank, two or three of them have gone from being saddled to berried to no eggs.
I think they dropped the shrimplets about a week ago but I have not seen any sign of shrimplets at all :(

I am wondering if the amanos have gobbled them up. Is this likely?
Could it be possible they are just hiding? I am guessing (hoping!) they are barely bigger than egg size so easy to miss...
I have a tetratec ex1200 with a foam insert over the intake strainer. I am fairly confident they are not in the filter.

The tank is 160l planted and the other inhabitants are:
3 or 4 pygmy corydoras
12 caradina shrimp (green - also newly added and possibly also dropped some little bubbas)
15 neocaridina (snowball)
9 amano shrimp

Baby shrimps tend to hide away until they are about 5mm so your not likely to see them yet ;)

phew! that is really good to hear. I can stop worrying now, although I will still have my nose pressed against the glass every day trying to see them :lol:

You don't happen to know how long it takes for them to get to 5mm?

Nick16 said:
also amanos are vegetarians. :D
I wouldn't go that far... I've seen Amanos carry dead fish off for a late night munch... There is a vid on YouTube (I think) showing an Amano attacking a live neon tetra too :D And of course, they will eat their own kind should one fall.

I've watched my amanos tuck into a carcass on more than one occasion. They polish it off just leaving the bones behind!
It is part of what makes them a great clean up crew IMHO :)

Back