So I'm considering a 70cm(H) tank...

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by jarthel, 16 Nov 2009.

1. jarthel

jarthel Member

I'm not tall (5' 6") nor do I have long arms. I will be using ladder/chair. My worry is that planting plants would be difficult. If someone has been in this situation, how did you successfully placed the plants?

Thank you

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

John Starkey had a similar problem, and used a bench to do maintenance but I believe it's a lot of hassle. I'm a similar height too, but my largest tanks are probably only chest height so I can more or less reach over to where I need to get, or stand on a stool for the hard to reach bits...

3. Tony Swinney

Tony Swinney Member

Hi Jarthel

I had a 90cm tall tank for a while, and it was impossible to work with as I just couldnt reach the substrate (I'm 6'2 with long arms !!).

I think anything deeper that the distance from your armpit to the start of your fingers gets tricky to work with.

Tony

4. Jase

Jase Member

My old man used to have a 3ft/90cm deep tank, he's 5' 8", and it just wasn't worth the hassle. I would say you need to be able to comfortably get to the substrate and 70cm would put your armpit in a world of pain from the tank edge if you were tinkering for any length of time, if you're not working from above it.

Just measured my arm (busy at work, obviously) :shifty: From the base of my fingers to the middle of my armpit is approximately 60cm and i'm 6' 1".

5. rawr

rawr Member

Just pop ya swimming trunks on, hey presto! ;)