• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soaking Aquasoil before use

Voo

With all these reports of Aquasoil Amazonia leaching ammonia, would i be able to soak it in a tub for a week or two before use, to minimise the ammonia spikes ?

I have fish in the tank so didnt know if i could get away with soaking it for a while first, rather than having to do loads of water changes.

Would soaking have any detrimental effects on the aquasoil?

If your tank has a mature filter and you plant heavily straight away you can add the AS and simply do daily 50% water changes to manage the ammonia. The spikes aren't that high and the fish will love the extra water changes. I removed my fish when using AS for the second time and found there was no detectable ammonia or nirite after one day! So I put the fish back and they were fine.

Ed Seeley said:
f your tank has a mature filter and you plant heavily straight away you can add the AS and simply do daily 50% water changes to manage the ammonia

i'll second that, ive had no probs doing the above.

If dosing EI, would i need to reduce any of the ferts?

Also, are there any plants that are better at absorbing the ammonia, or just any fast growing weeds?

Thanks

I dose very lightly so simply carried on. If you dose heavily you may want to reduce the macros but I'd keep the micros at full strength. TO be honest I think you could carry on as normal there.

Any fast growers will be fine. Just make sure there's plenty of CO2 too so the plants can use all those ferts!

Been reading about some batches of AS leeching ammonia more than others... a bit hit and miss. Some do a few water changes with a mature filter and done. Others do daily 60% WC for a week, use Purigen and mature filter etc... then still get a massive ammonia spike.
I'm starting to dread it as I've just got a 4 ft tank and ordered Amazonia soil :rolleyes:

Got some old substrate from existing tank thats loaded with bacteria that I'm going to lay under the AS. Hopefully that would help too.
Mature media always helps if you got it.

Back