• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soaking plants?

Hi, I've bought a selection of plants online for the first time from greenline due to be delivered wed, after reading comments from other members I'm confident that I've made the right choice of retailer. I've taken the online route because of the prices.

I've always got my plants from M/A in Crowland and always just put them straight into the tank when I got home. But i've read recently that I should be soaking them first to remove chemicals?

whilst searching for an online retailer I looked at one online site (not greenline) and read the customer comments, some complaining of dying fish after introducing their plants.

So I'm unsure now if when I recieve my greenline delivery if I should just do what I always do and put them straight in the tank or soak them? If I should soak them, then what do I soak them in? just tank water? and for how long?

many thanks
Adam

I've never heard of soaking the plants before. Maybe in a diluted snail killer solution, but never for chemicals.
I've had plants from mostly Tropica, the cheap pots from most Maidenheads and mail order from Plants-Alive, never had any chemical problems or fish death soon after.

Mine go straight in after a very quick rinse. Water won't get rid of much and blach can damage the plants.

Andy

The article refered to soaking to get rid of chemicals used to kill snails and such like, I'm sure it was a journal on here.

The snails don't bother me but the way it read implied that the snail control harmed other aspects of the tank and needed to be removed.

It was the first time I'd heard of it and I didn't know if it was an issue related to mail order plants, but as long as no one else has a need to do it I'll not either! straight in the tank as always! just didn't want to risk a mass fish loss, I was working out the total cost of them and it's amazing just how much value of live stock can be built up over the years, to lose them to a school boy error would be a disater!!

thanks all

This might be totally incorrect; but I wonder if Adam is referring to a Copper based solution used to kill off snails, before the plants are sold. I'm sure I've read this on the Greenline instruction sheet; it says to wash the plants as the solution is harmful to shrimps.

Maybe?????

Rob33 said:
This might be totally incorrect; but I wonder if Adam is referring to a Copper based solution used to kill off snails, before the plants are sold. I'm sure I've read this on the Greenline instruction sheet; it says to wash the plants as the solution is harmful to shrimps.

Maybe?????

Quite correct. If you keep inverts it is advisable to soak plants in running water for a few hours to remove any traces of copper treatments that may be present on the plants. Singapore plant growers use quite large quantities to kill snails before dispatch, so if your source sends them straight on they are more likely to have higher levels of copper on them.

Soaking plants also gives you opportunity to inspect the plants for any hitchikers. Easier to fish a dragon fly nymph out of a bucket than to try to catch them once they are in a nice heavily planted tank.

Ade

Thanks all,

I've received a delivery from greenline , rinsed everything and planted straight in with no worries now :D

Thanks for everyones advice

Adam

Back