• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soaring energy prices & aquascaping

I do echo what has been said in terms of, it may surprise you how much your tank costs to run, when I checked mine it was less then I thought by a good measure. if the smart meter was to be believed.

I think where it jumps up is multiple tanks, as you double everything (versus just having a larger tank)

Gotta say though, I do love my tank and it brings me joy, relaxation and clears the mind...... and occasionally stress and a potential money pit lol

That's very cheap - to give you a comparison, our new rate from 1st April will be 27.63p/kWh
Ouch!!! I'm fixed until August at 18.31 p/kWh and 22.75 p/p day standing charge. Guess I'm going to need some vaseline when the fixed rate ends.
Gotta say though, I do love my tank and it brings me joy, relaxation and clears the mind...... and occasionally stress and a potential money pit lol

I think that's the thing here, there are far more expensive hobbies we could have.
Also the weekly running costs for electricity alone, even at these inflated prices would be far less than a weekly session with a de stressing councillor. Which for me is the benefit my tanks provide.

OUCH!

At .18 we are one of the more expensive states in US.

Here in Minnesota electricity is (only) up about 5% - currently its $ 0.14 per kWh (with tax and everything). Still cheap. And water is about the same as its been for years.. so currently no impact for me vs the hobby.

We've seen Natural gas skyrocketing however - it's now almost 75% more expensive per therm (a Therm is roughly 100 cu. ft. of N.G) compared to same time last year. We pay now $1.11 per Therm. Which is a big deal during the winter here in Minnesota.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Here in uk the lfs will have no choice but to increase the prices of everything in a stock tank , plants shrimp snails fish etc they all use up electricity
I know the owner of a good lfs and they currently pay £1000 per week on electricity so there’s no way they could swallow the extra £500 per week

If you have one or two smaller tanks 400 litres or less the extra cost really isn’t going to be that much

On the other hand if you have have something that costs a lot to run now like a heated koi pond or a XL aquarium then maybe it will hit your pocket a lot harder and it may be the stick that brakes the camels back

To put it into context I went for a pub lunch yesterday and paid £15 for pie and chips, yes it was nice but it doesn’t give me the hours of pleasure my tanks do

If planning an XL project then I would suggest you look at the wattage of the pumps etc that you would use, it will be another criteria of choosing equipment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Perhaps if this is to be the new normal, it will see a push for greater efficiency pumps and leds?
Remember when leds came out and it meant 24w ish of led seemed like it was going to be the new normal for lighting?

I have three tanks, two 45l and one 160l, and energy costs don't concern me. I don't run them particularly warm, and most of my lights are on 50% or less. I think I worked it out once and it was only a few pounds per month.

Also who is buying £4 neon tetras? You can get them from Tropco for 91p.....

All in all unless you've got monster tanks, or reef tanks, or only buy ADA gear, this is not a particularly expensive hobby in my opinion.

Does anyone here have negative energy bills due to offset from solar?

Early adopters of Solar in the UK got an extremely generous rate per kW hour sold back to the grid. So yes, they probably do (monetarily) even now and it was a 25 year guaranteed rate from point of joining the FIT scheme.

They also based the projected average solar production for the UK for the FIT on figures from Spain I believe. Not so smart. That might not be true but was told this by a Solar installer 🤷🏻‍♂️

The FIT scheme has now been replaced with a pitiful return on selling back to the grid. A lot of folks have electric cars now though and use things like the Zappi to store excess production in car batteries using smart tech. You can charge your car preferentially using Solar, very handy for folks who are retired, not so much if you need to go to work and are away during daylight hours.

Others can still capitalise on excess production by primarily pushing excess into heating hot water to offset gas use. Another way of storing that energy instead of selling back at low rates of return by comparison.

Early adopters of Solar in the UK got an extremely generous rate per kW hour sold back to the grid. So yes, they probably do (monetarily) even now and it was a 25 year guaranteed rate from point of joining the FIT scheme.

They also based the projected average solar production for the UK for the FIT on figures from Spain I believe. Not so smart. That might not be true but was told this by a Solar installer 🤷🏻‍♂️

The FIT scheme has now been replaced with a pitiful return on selling back to the grid. A lot of folks have electric cars now though and use things like the Zappi to store excess production in car batteries using smart tech. You can charge your car preferentially using Solar, very handy for folks who are retired, not so much if you need to go to work and are away during daylight hours.

Others can still capitalise on excess production by primarily pushing excess into heating hot water to offset gas use. Another way of storing that energy instead of selling back at low rates of return by comparison.

I think solar is the way we'll go on our new house, I'm just a little disappointed that the solar tech doesn't seem to have advanced a great deal - we're still stuck on panels operating at 20% odd efficiency. When you consider the first panels in the 60's were already at 14% efficiency. Hopefully recent increased demand will drive further innovation.

We had some quotes before Christmas for a solar system on our works factory (only light engineering - mainly hand tools and lighting, no high power draw heavy machinery), and were told that we'd need to cover every inch of south facing roof space with 72 panels, and that still wouldn't get us to 100% of our usage!

The technology really needs to catch up quickly - once they get closer to 50% it becomes a much more attractive proposition.

I think solar is the way we'll go on our new house, I'm just a little disappointed that the solar tech doesn't seem to have advanced a great deal - we're still stuck on panels operating at 20% odd efficiency. When you consider the first panels in the 60's were already at 14% efficiency. Hopefully recent increased demand will drive further innovation.

We had some quotes before Christmas for a solar system on our works factory (only light engineering - mainly hand tools and lighting, no high power draw heavy machinery), and were told that we'd need to cover every inch of south facing roof space with 72 panels, and that still wouldn't get us to 100% of our usage!

The technology really needs to catch up quickly - once they get closer to 50% it becomes a much more attractive proposition.

Went that way here @Wookii

In terms of energy savings for aquariums, not necessarily monetary savings, the tanks here run on Solar for their lighting periods during the majority of the year.

4.44kWh system with deliberate clipping (all panels west facing). This gives high/maximum energy production from midday onwards.

The sum energy consumption of all the tanks during their photoperiod is between 700w and 800w per hour. Heaters will shift this figure but majority of the tanks are matched to ambient house temp (21C). Heaters don’t click on for long and doesn’t raise consumption beyond production.

Lights on at midday, so the energy requirement during the photoperiod is provided by solar for an estimated 9 months of the year in it’s entirety. Just heaters and filters running off the grid for the rest of the day.

Capitalising on the excess can be done through laundry during Solar production. Washing machines usually have a 3kW heater in them and only cold water supply. If you’ve got kids there will always be a daily wash so it adds up. Another is flicking on the immersion heater on the hot water tank if you got one if you are producing excess.

Teamed up the Solar here with air conditioning. Alternative means of heating the building and using energy from solar production in colder months. Also allows for climate control of the building in summer. Double glazing in the UK is designed to let heat in, but not allow heat out. Our homes are designed like ovens and summers are getting hotter at peak.

Tech getting more efficient will happen, but changing your behaviour reaps good rewards at the moment. The capital needed upfront seems less sensible without incentives like the FIT scheme. But Solar can offer flexibility and some insurance against energy price hikes.

Still find it absurd we live on a fairly large island and tidal energy has received no investment. We had a good nuclear program, enough to lay energy cables to the continent as we should have been exporting to France… but then Thatcher… and now we buy electricity from the continent.

Got Fusion going for five seconds (yay) but the tides are very dependable in the meantime 🤷🏻‍♂️

I have downsized from a house with solar panels to one without and from 2 tanks, 1 x 360 litres and 1 x 250 litres to only one at 180 litres but planted.
I don't have an increase in energy consumption due to the decrease in tanks BUT if I didn't have a tank at all I believe my mental health costs would dramatically increase beyond anything I could cope with!

once they get closer to 50% it becomes a much more attractive proposition.
Do you mean 50% efficiency? That might take a long time or may not even be possible depending on the environment. I would not be holding my breath.

I have 20% panels which are doing a great job so far. I only get 33% of market price for energy sold back to grid but better than nothing.

Do you mean 50% efficiency? That might take a long time or may not even be possible depending on the environment. I would not be holding my breath.
Yeah 50% spec (ideal conditions, as all panels are rated at). It may take a long time, who knows, they have already hit over 47% in lab conditions - obviously still heavily at the research level - but I think where there is profit motive and sufficient demand, it drives innovation faster. These surging energy prices will no doubt increase demand significantly.

Hi all,
It is <"pretty close for me"> (but not now the bills have gone up). That is only because when we got PV panels (2011) the Feed In Tariff (FIT) was ridiculously generous and index linked guaranteed for 25 years.

cheers Darrel

I can never get my head round( not trying to be political here btw) the gov took away the extra money given during covid on low payed benifits because of the financial struggle but now with the energy crisis surely it's needed just as much and if the country country could afford it then surely they can now with the cost of living rising

I can never get my head round( not trying to be political here btw) the gov took away the extra money given during covid on low payed benifits because of the financial struggle but now with the energy crisis surely it's needed just as much and if the country country could afford it then surely they can now with the cost of living rising
Well, they could if they wanted to. Windfall tax on petrol as well as tax revenue being generally higher than predicted currently. There's a great link on twitter by @RichardMurphy (a professor of accountancy). Amongst others he quotes Goldman Sacks who say that the chancellor could give away £50bn this week and still meet budget targets. on top of that they could reduce the 58ppl of duty they currently collect on petrol. Here's a link to one of his threads:

Back