• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

soft water plants

Vallis has always done well in hard water for me 14GH 12KH. Spreading like a weed.

In my friend's discus tank they melt and die. He's around 4GH 2KH.

Only an observation though.

Not had a issue with vallis ,the more common varieties, and our water is described as soft to very soft. Water changes and fertilisers seem the answer, last coulple of years adding TNC GH boost, but to it grew well before. If a plant doesnt do well try a alternative as James Findley advice. Tropica plant website or UKAPS plant database may help

Like Ian mentions, there aren't really many plants, if any, that can be described as soft water plants, well that is exclusively so. Plants like Vallis do very well in hard water because they can synthesise carbon from bicarbonates. Many other species have been found to do the same, such as some species of anubias, elodea, ferns and mosses. So they all usually thrive in hard water, and do very well in hard water low-energy tanks.

I think we discovered, or perhaps more accurately rediscovered for ourselves, that Anubias can do the same here on UKAPS a while ago https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/white-fungus-like-dots-on-anubias-making-my-fish-sick.37756/

I tell you one thing vallis doesn't seem to like and that's liquid carbon.

Back