• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soil granular hardness

Hello friends , want to know whether the Tropica soil granules are durable and hard enough to withstand the pressure of two fingers as so (a post from CAL Aqua labs regarding the black earth premium is shown as reference) ; unable to share the hardness comparison video as the extension is not supported ...you may search up their official profile on Instagram.
Screenshot_20220731-235109_Instagram.jpg

Oh no several months, say several days actually , no several minutes ... but more than 1000 days likely. Well it's still several, so the company stretches and can't be accused of false claims ;) Be wary of posts from companies and their payed for / or wishful sell agents (influencers) on social media.

Checked my Tropica Aquarium Soil , about a year old still the same grains visible still can be picked in the hand, same with ADA Amazonia old ver. and new ver. at around 3 years, Dennerle Scappers... no pile of mud in their place. Sure, you can damage the integrity of the grains by frequent uprooting, replanting heavy rooters without care, rearranging the rocks and wood every few days etc... You can damage the soil the first minute it's in water. Just grab it in your fist and squeeze hard. Don't know the exact market of people reaching in their tanks to take individual grains of aquasoil between their fingers and press them to turn them into mud. It just doesn't come up as a practice during normal maintenance. Guess the majority just likes to watch their tanks.

In my aquariums most of the soils would have become a less reliable source of nutrients around the year mark, but long before i see any major degradation. And finally that's why I am using aquasoils in some aquariums... its nutrient source. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with their soil, I doubt there is really much to justify the higher $$$ as for me, when I want hard, 'eternal' grains ... I use gravel or sand.

Back