• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Soil or dose

Even if you have soil it is best to dose ferts even in low tech tanks.
There are various feet regimes you can use and the one you choose will depend on size of tank and whether you take the high tech or low tech technique.

Low tech needs less ferts as plants grow slow. Visa versa for high tech.

The easy route is to buy liquid ferts some are complete which advise what to dose for your tank but expensive for basically water.

The harder route is to buy salts and mix your own much cheaper and lots of folk use APFUK and the EI method for ferts

Clive has done a great article on EI dosing Here well worth a good read IMO

I can't see me.making my own fert etc . Will take the simplcsimp of buying off the shelf .

“Best” substrate for your tank depends very much on your goals - in plant growth and species, but also maintenance

The widely available commercial Aquarium Soils - especially when combinied with the supporting (usually same branded) water column fertilizers - makes it much easier for a complete novice to end up with a tank not dissimilar to those gorgeous tanks one sees online :)

Tropica’s Website is an excellent place to start - solid basics in everything from plant types to inspiration tanks - well worth reading through every detail, then coming back to forums for more individual opinions

Then there’s the Tropica 90 Day App

Also need to know the pH/hardness of your tank water, if its very hard your water will be alkaline eg above 7.0pH and you might need a supplementary Fe as the Fe in most ferts is Fe EDTA which is only soluble below 7.0pH so having soft water is better in many ways- wish mine was soft :rolleyes:

Back