• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Solar powered scape!

ommmartin

Seedling
Hello!
My name is Martin and I live on a far flung mountain top in the west of Ireland.
I am running a fully solar powered aquascape...60x27x37...heavily planted with anubias pangolino and various small bucephanandras....(wish I could find more!)....eleocharis/marselia crenata mixed carpet and amazonian! mist from a DOOA mist flow...there are many other species in there also...
There is a huge corner of emerged growth...Lobelia Cardinalis, Echinodorus and Murdannia...also the wondrously delicate emerged form of Ludwigia Palustris...and dear old Hydrocotyl tripartite....just try and stop it growing above water!
No livestock still....but wonder about Amano shrimp and possible other see through species?...glass cats maybe?...hatchets?

I really love these aquatic plants and the way they talk to me...they tell you what's needed if you listen well enough I reckon...
Delighted to find other enthusiasts at last...I've lived in my own aquatically obsessed bubble for too long!

ooooh...been finding such simple fascination in learning about the way these plants can transform in their emmersed versions...and sooo much easier to maintain a tank with above water growth!
Why would we not do this?....in nature its so common...and sooo beautiful...and so much better on the filtration....

Been using indigenous mosses and lakeside plants also and finding them to be so forgiving...everything we need is actually on our doorstep!
Brings a whole new dimension to the scapes...they really compliment the commercial plants we all rely on....and it saves a lot of dosh!

It's all about listening and watching...learning in a humble way and feeling grateful to be a part of this extraordinary natural world despite our shameful mistreatment of it.
These little worlds we create are true jewels...perhaps one day they will even be all that is left of the glory?

Looking forward to interacting with other plant people....

amazing to feel not alone in this anymore!...thanks guys...will get a photo together when I can ....

Hi all,
I am running a fully solar powered aquascape.
I've got <"solar panels as well">, they are much more effective than I'd expected they would be.

When you get bright sun-light, and it is cool, they are more efficient, and my experience of W. Ireland is either raining or sunny, and not much in the middle.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Solar powered as in direct sun light???? Keen to see some pics pls.

apologies for delay...hectic with work..but love the forum when I get time!

no no...using twinstar for 7 hours plus a little indirect light from window...true about Ireland...so changeable...aLOT of rain here...solar is difficult at this time of year but easy in Spring/Summer...overall I'm winning though...this new tank is running 6 weeks already and doing well...am even wondering also about no livestock...dont know how the ecosystem would work longterm without fish foods though...

Thanks for glass cats advice...youre quite right..tank too nano really for them although I love them.
Thanks for that nudge...don't think I'd find the Indian glass fish at this time ...actually never come across them before in Ireland...

here's a few shots...sorry they're not great but will give an idea until I can make better ones.

THANKS for all interest and help
I'm finding the hobby very helpful through this bonkers time we are living through!
Makes me remember real things and the plants are just so beautiful they make me feel grateful to be on Earth!
IMG_1265.JPG
IMG_1266.JPG
IMG_1267.JPG
IMG_1268.JPG
IMG_1269.JPG
IMG_1270.JPG
IMG_1271.JPG

Hi all...sorry for long delay...thought I'd send out latest photos...sorry quality not fab but gives an idea of progress...especially the bucephalandras...was lucky enough to obtain a lump of them direct from source via a pro horticulturalist with a plant importation licence...wow...
still no livestock...more interested in plants but do fancy shrimp as well as a clean up crew...and perhaps a small gang of schooling fish...any thoughts?
martin
IMG_1423.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1420.JPG

Back