• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some advice - Lots of questions

L66

Seedling
Hi there. This is my first post, but I am not new to fishkeeping or indeed plants. For the last 3 years or so I sucessfully kept a low tech planted tank, however I got rid of a lot of plants when I moved house and then set up a marine tank. Now my marine tank is up and running smoothly and my breeding group of L66 plecs are settled I want a planted tank again, but I cant find decent plants. I used to buy from greenline and found the plands of good quality.

I have a Rio 180 with eco complete substrate and 2 external 2234 filters. It will be decorated with nice bits of wood and some slate. pH is 7.1 and the water is soft. Have 3 Melanotaenia praecox rainbow fish and L260 plec. I have not decided on my final fish stocking and I am open to suggestions. Tank temperature is cuttently 76F but can easily be altered.

I wish to set up a planted tank without CO2.

I am looking for advice on both where to buy plants. I am in Scotland, but willing to travel to the North of England, and also looking for advice on suitable varieties of plant. I have found in the past that crypts do very well in my water. I will also need advice on what aditives to add.

If you need any more details please ask.

Thanks in advance

Ian

hi,
last-trading-post on ebay is good for cheap plants to start your tank up.
you can get a randon selection of 50 plants for just over a tenner.

if ya want a bit more selection the sponsers of this site are a good bet!

Can't go wrong with Tropica or Aquafleur potted plants! They tend to be more expensive but that's due to them being generally stronger plants.

There was a post recently about other places to buy plants, have a browse in the plants section on the forum :)

As for ferts, many on here use EI (Estimative Index). It's a bit of a read, and takes a bit of getting your head around, but then it's also good that all you need to do is figure out the dosing levels and dose them, without understanding too much of the sciencey stuff. Have a browse of the Ferts section for more info :)

Thanks guys, this at least gives me somwhere to start. I will get reading. More suggestions greatfully accepted!

Ian

Hi,
In the non-CO2 method it is advisable to use a nutritious substrate such as ADA Aquasoil. It is also suggested to avoid water changes altogether and to keep the lighting levels below 2 watts per gallon if using T5 lighting. The level of fertilization does not need to be as intense as with the CO2 injected tank. A once a week dosing schedule will do. Crypts, ferns, mosses, lilies and many of the hardier stem plants can do well in a non-carbon enriched tank.

Cheers,

Back