• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some advice needed on algae in tank

rahulzerg

Seedling
Hi,

I did a Dry start with my 45x27x30 nano tank with some H Cuba and few other plants as shown in the pics. The growth was slow but after a few months it was reasonable. There were some spots of green algae even before flooding the tank which was growing on the substrate and between the h. Cuba and front glass. I assumed after flooding it will go away. Now I have an outbreak of sorts of green fluffy type algae on the plants and rocks and the glass (fine dust type). For lighting I use a 23w Chirrios led as in the pics 6 hours a day. CO2 is through a diffuser coming on 1hr before the lights. I do daily dose of aquascaper ferts.

Am I doing something wrong? I have tested the water through API test kit and all looks to be normal. Would be great if someone can offer insight.

20190125-214235.jpg

20190125-214318.jpg

20190125-214258.jpg

20190125-214355.jpg

Flow could be lacking, no cleaning crew (amanos, oto''s ,snails) to help, how long has it been flood, could be diatoms?
1) just do maintenance ( manual remove and scrub, suck out dirt) and waterchanges
2) get some cleaners
3) if problems stay do a pH profile

Thanks for the pointers. The tank was flooded a month back. I might put in some amano shrimps but will they not escape from an open tank? Novice question as I have never kept shrimps. I will increase the flow from the filter in the meantime. Will try measuring the PH too.

Flow could be lacking, no cleaning crew (amanos, oto''s ,snails) to help, how long has it been flood, could be diatoms?
1) just do maintenance ( manual remove and scrub, suck out dirt) and waterchanges
2) get some cleaners
3) if problems stay do a pH profile

Lots of amanos kept in open tanks, every nowq and then one jumps but not often.
Thanks for the advice. I have put some amanos in and will follow the weekly cleanup routine and see if this algae goes away.

Well my amanos have escaped lol, cant find them anymore. My bad luck. Also the green algae has exploded everywhere after the last cleanup & waterchange of the tank. I removed whatever i could, scraped the rocks etc. My HC is also affected turning brown and dying in many places. Any suggestions?

Lots of amanos kept in open tanks, every nowq and then one jumps but not often.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Can you dim the light? The less light, the less CO2 is needed
I think some more flow might help, get a tiny pump or smal filter to get better flow
Keep removing as much algae as possible, and do waterchanges. Add ferts after the wc. I would do wc 50% at least 3 times a week for now.
Do this for 2 weeks and things should be better.
Let us know tthen.

Maybe even rehome the fish for a few weeks (large tub with water from the tank and a run in filter) and realy cranck up the CO2.

Thanks for the link. I will reduce the light as its dimmable and also do the rest you have advised. The filter I have is this https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/aquarium/filters/hang-on/500-ho-plus/ which has a dial for flow adjustments. I can crank it up to max.

Will update in 2 weeks on the progress.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Can you dim the light? The less light, the less CO2 is needed
I think some more flow might help, get a tiny pump or smal filter to get better flow
Keep removing as much algae as possible, and do waterchanges. Add ferts after the wc. I would do wc 50% at least 3 times a week for now.
Do this for 2 weeks and things should be better.
Let us know tthen.

Maybe even rehome the fish for a few weeks (large tub with water from the tank and a run in filter) and realy cranck up the CO2.

Back