• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some basic stuff for you....

brian68

Seedling
I am new to this planted tank game, having kept aquaria with fish and very few plants for about 10 years. I am in the process of attempting to set up a new Fluval Roma (200L) as a planted tank. On the question of lighting, the tank comes with 2x 30w 36" tubes - named 'Power-Glo' and 'Aqua-Glo'. They both say on them 'ideal for planted aquariums'. After reading the comments on this board I am not so sure. Will these be sufficent for a planted set up? I am only a beginner plant-wise and am only looking to set up a relatively easy and low maint set up, to see if I can get the hang of it. If not, I'll just go back to fish! Also, how long per day should the lights be on for planted aquaria? Should the CO2 go on and off at the same time as the lights, or should they be staggered?

Any advice appreciated!

Hi Brian

2 x 30w over 200 litres is low light, but you'll be ok with easier species. You may also be ok with more demanding plants if you have good CO2 and other nutrients. Fitting decent reflectors is essential.

The Power-Glo and Aqua-Glo are ok, maybe a bit purple for some.

CO2 should come on a little before lighting and off a little before lights off.

I hope that helps.

Ok,I'm interested in some REAL numpty stuff also.I'm back to aquariums after a long break.Before,yeh,I had plants but basically,when I went out to work,lights were off and I switched them back on when I got in.
This is a really,really,basic question,please don't laugh, :oops: ,but I guess there 'may' be more numpties out there that would like to know too.So......
My tank will receive natural daylight during the day,not direct,but a fairly bright room.When do I turn the lights on and off?Sounds daft,but what's the best for the plants and fish?

It's best to have a set photo period for your plants, but from what I've read generally they don't need more than 8 hours straight. This can be any time though. Whatever suits your viewing pleasure really. I'm thinking of changing my light period on my tanks so the lights are on during the evenings, now that winter is here and the nights are dark. I need something to cheer me up when I get home from work :)

Thanks Steve,soo,lights off during the day,on at 6.30,off around 10ish.Is this ok with the daylight on top or does it need more direct,ie,the actual tanklights?Am I going to need a timer?
(Told you I was a numpty,give me an idiots guide).

I think 6.30 - 10 is a bit short, that's 3 1/2 hours?

I have timers on my tanks. Currently they are set to come on at 8am and go off at 6pm. I'm going to shift this to something more like 1pm - 9pm.

Back