• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some of my Shrimp...

Piece-of-fish said:
So where is the truth now :lol:

:lol:

The low TDS throws off any ph readings. So while the meter may read that it is acidic, it isn't. I can not recall the science behind it at the moment (well, not comprehensively enough to explain it succinctly ).

Thanks guys. You scare me to death with these new old shrimp stories. I am planning to spend another fortune in couple weeks time and mix with existing shrimp.

If you are getting from same breeder and going to mix his previous shrimps with new shrimps I assume they will be from same colony as previous then they should be fine. Sometimes you just don't know...

Seachem paraguard Ed. That's how I beat the bacterial infection I had. Extremely effective. Now using it as a quarantine measure. Dumping on those blue pearls now I've read this thread. Shrimpnow people use it at full dose for seven days then water change. Please note that it is NOT recommended for use with inverts by Seachem but I and others have used it without losses. In fact, I was losing a shrimp every other day and as soon as I started using it no more losses.

Have also heard good things about Furanol.

Got my RO unit off a German ebay seller. Also cost about £40. Unfortunately it takes me about 12 hours to get 25L out of the thing. Mainly I think because half leaks out of the tap connector. Anyone knows how to connect an RO unit to a hozelock connector let me know?

Radik said:
12hour is very long even for the slowest RO unit available.

My RO unit took that long to produce 24l of water before I changed the membrane and filters.
Now it takes 4 or 5 hours. Other factors are also involved; water pressure, TDS, temp, etc.

Brrr, that is long. Will consider buying the pump then. Thanks all for the input.
Hopefully more shirmp will be available cheaper sooner or later as i am not giving up :lol:
I have seen several blue pearl babies 0.5cm and few just born ones today.
Will put new stock of blues into other tank.
Maybe the different blues caused the deaths who knows. I got them from 2 people at the same time ;)
First expensive shrimp postage went well today to a happy new owner and some SS Crystal going tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.

I used RO with akadama for a few months, no effect on pH.
The Co2 plus remineralisation powder kept it faily stable (6.8) with hardly any swing at night with Co2 off.
I kept the KH at 2 though as I was worried about a pH crash!

Few things to update. Blue pearls are definitely infected cause continue to die slowly. Got just few left but got quite a few babies in there. Was adviced to kill all suspicious ones as the most danger is when they die and get eaten by healthy fish.
Got some SS red babies from last thursday which are still alive. Not too many though. Ph is neutral.
Got red tiger babies also and few yellow babies.

Got RO unit last week and water canisters to transport water from home to office.
Bought 10 bags of ADA aquasoil to replace some akadama and to go into new setups. Ordered about 14 more tanks :)
Was adviced Malaya being the best for shrimp as it lower ph more and leaches a bit less amonia. Got 6 bags of it and 4 of new aquasoil.

Received new stock of shrimp yesterday. Most fancy once high grade snow whites and SSS CBS.
Some more blue bees.
Got quite a lot of yellow and blue pearls. Put half of blues pearls in Antlers Shmantlers scape at home.
Going to spend half of the night to acclimatize them now.
Getting more crazy each day :lol:
:thumbup:

Ed if you can mix slowly.. 2% water between tanks for 2 weeks.. if you can not then just prey. But if they are from same colony as from same breeder they should be fine. Will talk tomorrow...

Madlan let us know how is it going with paraguard. There is also other med called sera bactopur which should work.

I will take my chances. They are from the same breeder but could be from different local breeders actually.
Fingers crossed.

Nice to see you continuing to expand :)

Piece-of-fish said:
Few things to update. Blue pearls are definitely infected cause continue to die slowly. Got just few left but got quite a few babies in there. Was adviced to kill all suspicious ones as the most danger is when they die and get eaten by healthy fish.

Do you know of a specific method to spot if they are diseased (if so I will scrutinise my blue pearl colony to see if that was the source), or do you just remove them when they look peaky?

I remove the ones that look suspiciously white. Anyways there only 5-8 adults left in that tank.

Matt, die off one two shrimps every day or every other day.. then discoloration or milky white color or weird color of the shrimp, sometimes hiding do not feed in day or sometimes just behave like nothing and die off day by day.

Cheers guys, always nice to know how other people are managing their colonies.
I use the same method to see if something is amiss. Although I tend to not cull milky shrimp (as a general rule of thumb, not strict rule).

All new shrimps been acclimatized succesfully.
Seen at least five SS red babies in Akadama tank today. 1 week old already.
Water parameters in the tank temp 21c, TDS 360, PH 7.3

Have 2 cycled tanks with colombo florabase. Have put 4 SSS CBS in one and 20 SS CRS in the other.
All doing well so far.
Parameters here:
Temp 21c, TDS 280, PH 6.4
Still using only tap water.
Emtying 3 tanks now and will put ADA Malaya in there.

Back