• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Some of my Shrimp...

Re: the bacterial infection thing. I had this a few months ago. Reckon it was introduction of some new shrimp that did it and paraguard that cured it. Haven't had a loss for more than 2 months now. However, that's only part of the story.

In terms of the cause, as I said, I think the trigger was some new shrimp. Either some relatively high grade CRS/CBS from a shop that doesn't necessarily have the best quarantine practices (Matt probably knows where I'm talking about) or some wild shrimp from an online retailer. However, that might have been coincidental.

I think these (potentially lethal) bacterial populations are always present in the shrimp tank. I reckon they become a problem when

- their population builds up too much
- shrimp are stressed and therefore immunity is down

Part of the cause for my outbreak was poor hygiene. Because the tank was so heavily planted I'd stopped vacuuming the substrate. That's probably fine on the whole but some of the moss was harbouring huge amounts of crud. Using a pipette to "fluff" my fissidens, for example, resulted in huge clouds of dirt. More importantly I never bothered to clean the mechanical filtration in my eheim. When I did look in there the water was literally black.

My shrimp were likely somewhat stressed too (down to dodgy CO2 reg). I had also, no doubt, added too many shrimp, of too many species, from too many different sources.

I now use paraguard as a quarantine measure - I add 3 days dose whenever I put new shrimp in. No substitute for proper quarantine I know but I don't have a spare tank for that.

My main concern is that the bacteria will build up a resistance to the stuff. Radik - you know if the other treatments have a different active ingredient?

Yes there is always some bacteria making issues. I used JBL furanol 2 but I think too late in process so all shrimps died in that tank. You must strictly follow dozing regime if you under-doze they may develop resistance. There is also some Sera bactopur available from Germany. Funny you can not buy any of this here but they will send it to you from Germany. Also JBL furanol should not be sold anymore because of EU laws well you can still get it so grab while you can :)

So you should stop using bactopur this way and rather get some 14L Clearseal nano as quarantine.

I am glad that you solved your problem. I personally have lossed alot of shrimp over the years. I always acclimate them over hours now and not minutes.

Once had a bacterial problem like you did. The shrimp would literally glow in the dark once they died.

I would love to see some more pictures when you geta chance.

An update. So I suppose almost all SS red babies made it in almost neutral ph and TDS around 400. Female is berried again :clap:
We are counting 20 babies which are 1 month old already and 1cm big. Grades range from A, S, SS and if we are lucky we have one which cold be flowerhead :thumbup:
Lots of blue pearl babies, some red tiger babies, berried yellow, tiger and snow white.
Starting to utilize RO now, cycling 4 ADA soil tanks, 3 malaya and 1 new aquasoil.
Building more racks :crazy:
Getting lots more shrimp in mid/late January...

Piece-of-fish said:
An update. So I suppose almost all SS red babies made it in almost neutral ph and TDS around 400. Female is berried again :clap:
We are counting 20 babies which are 1 month old already and 1cm big. Grades range from A, S, SS and if we are lucky we have one which cold be flowerhead :thumbup:
Lots of blue pearl babies, some red tiger babies, berried yellow, tiger and snow white.
Starting to utilize RO now, cycling 4 ADA soil tanks, 3 malaya and 1 new aquasoil.
Building more racks :crazy:
Getting lots more shrimp in mid/late January...

You got it real bad!! Glad to hear shrimplets surviving.....must be something dead right! Well done :thumbup:

Well done Ed :thumbup: I'm still on the lookout for my baby shrimp. They're there somewhere, but in 360L i'm sure they're still hiding and growing until they feel safe.

Back