• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Something... Something... Shallow UG Tank!

Better question… What would you do @John q ?
In a parallel universe I'd probably ask myself what I set out to accomplish when starting this tank and had I accomplished it. I would also ask could I learn any more by pursuing this for another six to twelve months.
If the answer to the fist question was yes and the second answer no then I'd probably rescape it.

Personally I could never tear this tank down, it would be my masterpiece. You on the other hand are fully aware that another stunning scape could be remade in a matter of months. Suppose its a bit like Van Gogh painting over a painting, he knew full well the next painting would be better.

Last edited:
I can’t speak for @John q , but I think this is a great tank to try a paludorium setup with. Some good low growing plants and then maybe some stems that will breach the surface and look beautiful emmersed.

+1 . . . This is exactly what I was thinking when you asked the question @Geoffrey Rea - the tank proportions would lend themselves wells to a semi-emersed scape.

In a parallel universe I'd probably ask myself what I set out to accomplish when starting this tank and had I accomplished it. I would also ask could I learn any more by pursuing this for another six to twelve months.
If the answer to the fist question was yes and the second answer no then I'd probably rescape it.

Personally I could never tear this tank down, it would be my masterpiece. You on the other hand are fully aware that another stunning scape could be remade in a matter of months. Suppose its a bit like Van Gogh painting over a painting, he knew full well the next painting would be better.

Thank you for your answer @John q 🙏🏽

No parallel universe found yet so will keep working on this one. Think putting out an article laying out the process with this setup is the next thing that needs to happen. See how replicable this process is for others.

I can’t speak for @John q , but I think this is a great tank to try a paludorium setup with. Some good low growing plants and then maybe some stems that will breach the surface and look beautiful emmersed.

+1 . . . This is exactly what I was thinking when you asked the question @Geoffrey Rea - the tank proportions would lend themselves wells to a semi-emersed scape.

Will keep this in mind @Mr.Shenanagins and @Wookii . Could incorporate UG into that environment and see what it does.

Could incorporate UG into that environment and see what it does.

I guess if you want to extend the UG experiment - being as you've proved a sound technique for a single species environment - the next logical step would be whether you can also keep it as successfully in a mixed species setup, perhaps by transitioning the current tank by adding other plants, and whether you can find a middle ground that meets the needs of both?

One year old:

1645984270962.jpeg

1645984310144.jpeg

Underwater flower meadow.

Meadow in bloom:

1647688212053.jpeg

Quite a few flowers breaching the surface now:

1647688248045.jpeg

1647688263581.jpeg

Intrigued to see how the UG reacts to the warmer weather next week. With the windows open all day there’s the potential for insects to become attracted to the emersed flowers.

1647688285622.jpeg

Stopped any regimented dosing now. A squirt of micros when it needs and topping off with water from the 1200. In theory that should add a little KH to stop it bottoming out.

Hoping to see the reproductive cycle of Utricularia graminifolia @DeepMetropolis

Considering using a cotton bud to pollinate the flowers above the water line. If they drop seed and there’s no water changes, it becomes a matter of whether the seeds will begin the cycle aquatically or they require a location on the margins above the water line.

If the seeds float then there’s the potential to collect a few and scatter them in the little terrarium to see what’s what.

We’ll see….

As nice as the flowering is:

1648997226266.jpeg

The UG needed a trim:

1648997281419.jpeg

Not a skilled trim either but it will have to do. Still suffering some after effects of COVID so a bit unsteady on the feet.

The UG had swallowed the co2 diffuser and over half of the intake slits so it had to be chopped. Should green up in the next few days and will keep an eye out for any signs of new flowers.

Back