• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Songs from the Man Cave!

Where I live we have been very lucky to have had very few restrictions during most of the pandemic so I have still been able to get to many live gigs over the last year or so.
Last Saturday we had a music festival with 4000 tickets sold and on Monday a free beach gig with 2000 people.
Normally we would have visiting guest but we have managed very well with just local talent.
Here is a vid from a few weeks back at one of the popular balcony gugs....

A most beautiful soul ever... 🥰

😘

My good friend Mike is right up there with his acoustic guitar style….
Sometimes he plays on stage with just one hand and it sounds miles better than anything I can play with two hands!

Last edited:
Hi all,
A most beautiful soul ever
@roadmaster is also a <"Nina Simone fan">. Difficult to choose just one song, but possibly "Sinnerman"?

I listened to James Carr this morning ("The Dark End of the Street"), while I had my essential black coffee fix, he was another tortured soul.

.......... Hiding in shadows where we don't belong
Living in darkness to hide our wrong
You and me, at the dark end of the street............

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
I listened to James Carr this morning ("The Dark End of the Street"), while I had my essential black coffee fix, he was another tortured soul.

Thanks for sharing!... :) I didn't know him. And he sounds indeed like Otis Redding and Percy Sledge in Duet. :)

Difficult to choose just one song,

Yes, that's so true... She's actually the only artist I can listen day and night and it never ever gets boring. For others i have to be in the mood, for Nina you can wake me up anytime. She carries her life story in her voice. And this is true Soul... Very few artists have this, no matter how hard they try don't even come close.

Hi all,
Thanks for sharing!... :) I didn't know him. And he sounds indeed like Otis Redding and Percy Sledge in Duet. :)
James Carr covered "These Arms of Mine" and Percy Sledge covered "The Dark End of the Street". He (or Percy Sledge?) was also the original artist on "Pouring water on a Drowning Man"

I first heard of him via Alan Parker / Roddie Doyle's great film <"The Commitments">.

It also has the incredibly gorgeous and talented Maria Doyle Kennedy singing "I Never Loved a Man", and she makes a pretty good job of it.

cheers Darrel

Yes, that's so true... She's actually the only artist I can listen day and night and it never ever gets boring. For others i have to be in the mood, for Nina you can wake me up anytime. She carries her life story in her voice. And this is true Soul... Very few artists have this, no matter how hard they try don't even come close.

Few singers have that zozo and l just dont get a lot of modern acts
There is the soul and this is regardless of heritage, you need to live true something to acquire it. And even maybe to hear/feel it too... Then there is a lot of Muzak, lots of Muzak for each group or age... :) Danger! Danger! Fire in the Disco! :nailbiting: Not saying it can't be fun...

Sometimes he plays on stage with just one hand and it sounds miles better than anything I can play with two hands!

Like he does part way through this performance. A really rare talent; the genuine article.
I've often thought about relocating to Guernsey.

Tim, we have had a 10,000 people increase in the last year, there are english registered cars everywhere!
House prices have jumped up to an all time high and there is now a huge housing shortage!
We have many famous people and celebrities who have re located and bought up all the expensive multi million pound houses … its all due to the island being Covid free.
On the plus side, the restaurants are full and the shops busy on the negative side we have now got traffic jams and a changing culture happening at an unbelievable rate!
Anyway we are off out at tea time to the Terrace bar, one of the better outdoor music venues, tonight 5 of my best friends are playing. There are all oldies like me but one of the best bands around at the moment … i will take some video….

Last edited:
Tim, we have had a 10,000 people increase in the last year, there are english registered cars every where!
Wow, that's ridiculous, I had no idea.
House prices have jumped up to an all time high and there is now a huge housing shortage!
I always thought it was difficult to relocate to Guernsey. Doesn't it have a two tier housing policy ?
and a changing culture happening at an unbelievable rate!
I can't image what it must be like for the culture to change so rapidly on a relatively small island. I think it's bad enough on the mainland.
There are all oldies like me but one of the best bands around at the moment … i will take some video….
That'd be good to watch :)

Tim, our little sister island Sark, that is part of the Guernsey bailiwick and surely one of the most beautiful places in the world, has gained 112 new residents in the last year.
That might not sound like many but considering it only had 350 people there before, it is in fact a huge amount!
Apparently every habitable house is taken up and the whole of the islands atmosphere has changed from very quiet and peaceful to positively busy ha ha …
If you ever get the chance to visit Sark then do……
Yes there is a two tier system in Guernsey basically if you have a spare 5 million you are fine otherwise you could marry a Guernsey girl!

Last edited:
Funny is since I'm Dutch I can read and understand it without tapping into my English.

Brun Cu - Brown Cow - still is Bruine Koe in nowadays Dutch.

Gooid Braide, Botter, and Cheese is gooid Halifax and gooid friesse...

Back