soooooooooo cheeeeeeeeeesed off

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by nickmcmechan, 17 Apr 2008.

1. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan Member

I've been trying for about 6 months now to bring on Amazon Swords in my SA setup.

I've done the following:

changed the substrate to laterite (Eco-complete)
    introduced EI dosing regime
    additional light tube to get up to 1.8wpg
    added pressurised co2 system
    daily dosing excel to control any algae

And the end result, they still look crap. :(

The other day I saw one of my Festivums ripping into one of them, not sure that this is just their behaviour or that fact that the leaves are in poor condition so they have a nibble. :twisted:

As you can guess from my post I'm at the end of my wick now. The amount of money and time I've put into this with no end result, not good for someone like me. Hand me a sledgehammer and I'll sort the tank today. :mad:

What would you do now, if it was you? :arghh:

2. Arana

Arana Member

OK the first thing to do is step away from the sledge hammer and take a deep breath! :wideyed:

Now if possible post some pics of your setup and swords with as much info as possible and i'm sure with everyones help here we can sort it out together :D

3. ceg4048

ceg4048 Expert/Global Moderator Staff Member

Hi,
    It might be better if we had some detailed information with which we could analyze. Otherwise we're forced to use our imagination. It would be nice to know what the tank size is, how much and what type of lighting as well as the CO2 system and your method of CO2 measurement. A general statement such as "introduced EI dosing regime" is ambiguous since it is not clear whether in fact you are following the reference dosing scheme.
    Exactly how many teaspoons or grams of what are you dosing and with what frequency?
    Also, what does "crap" mean, exactly? The science of plant husbandry requires a great deal more specificity:
    Is there yellowing or browning if tissue structure?
    Are there holes in the leaves?
    Are the edges of the leaves damaged?
    Is new growth arrested or discolored, or disfigured?
    What is the status of older leaves?
    Exactly what species are affected?
    What type of algae is present?
    What type of filtration is being used?

Sample photographs, if available would add value to the analysis. Unavailability of photographic evidence means that descriptions are even more important. Additionally, a more relevant title to your post, such as "having difficulty growing plants" would undoubtedly garner more sympathy and support than the current title.

If you could provide additional data such as response to the above queries we could begin the troubleshooting.

Cheers,

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

I thought swords had problems with Excel, but after a bit of research that apparently isn't the case :)

Might help to read this regarding topic title :)

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=1317&p=12821#p12821

As Ceg has said, could really do with posting what ferts you are dosing as part of your regime.

5. milla

milla Member

You have a bristlenose plec in their don't you ?

Sorry to say but move the BN out of the tank if you wish to grow swords.

6. johnny70

johnny70 Member

My BN plecs don't harm my swords and they are reaching 2ft :wideyed:

JOHNNY

7. beeky

beeky Member

Now that's a big bristlenose!! :lol:

I used to have problems with mine. If I didn't give spinach regularly she used to rasp on the leaves until they turned transparent!

Most medium/large cichlids would have a munch on plants or try to dig them up. Also, depending on which swords you're growing you may not need the CO2. How long have you given them? They may take a while to get going.

8. daniel19831123

daniel19831123 Member

You sure it's a bristlenose you got there? Bristlenose don't normally grow beyond 6 inches. Sailfin plec on the other hand do grow huge

9. Aquaspot World

Aquaspot World Newly Registered

It would definitely help to know exactly which species of Amazon Sword you are trying to grow. Some of them do have slightly more requirements and preferences.

Actually most Swords required good lights to achieve good growth. 1.8wpg isn't a lot of light for these plants, although some easier species can grow under that amount of light.

10. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

1.8wpg is a little low on some setups, but if this is a larger tank that might be plenty :) As has been said though, really could do with more details on the setup.

11. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I find swords are OK at 1WPG. I stopped growing swords because they were taking over my tank (when it was 1.1WPG with minimal ferts and DIY CO2) They were growing 2 ft tall and 1ft diameter within a month of planting which was just too much.

Bristlenoses shouldn't eat plants unless there is nothing else. Cichlids on the other hand do eat plants even when fed well and aren't too fussy. Even my Rams have developed a fancy for Red Lotus leaves but not too much that the plant is ruined.

12. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

I'm surprised by this Andy! IME all the cichlids I've kept, including Tanganyikan Tropheus, will only disturb the plants when hungry or if they're where they don't want them! I've never kept any of the large herbivorous/omnivorous species though like Uara or Tilapia. Rams shouldn't be eating plants as they are mainly insectivorous like all small Geophagine speices. Maybe yours just like their 5-a-day too much!!!

I agree with you on the swords. I've grown mine well in lower light. I have three big E.'Oriental's flowering in my Rio which has just 2wpg and they are one of the trickier hybrids IME.

13. GreenNeedle

GreenNeedle Member

I thought it was either the plecs or Otos BUT....

....caught them redhanded the other week. They just nibble on the red tiger lotus and alwys stay to the same leaf. Not random always the leaf that is hovering over their stone (which may explain it). Once that leaf is removed they move to another one I guess when something else grows over their stone. Maybe I have light loving rams.

Andy

14. Garuf

Garuf Member

How odd, I'd suggest moving or adding another rock and seeing how this affects their behaviour, in theory it should stop them nipping your plants, correct?

15. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

Sounds like they're gearing up to spawn Andy! Clearing the stone for spawning is big part of that. Leave them be and after they've spawned they'll be too busy guarding fry to keep removing leaves!!! Congratualtions!