• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sorting my AE trace mix solution...

JohnC

On a mountain in the Highlands of Scotland
Hi,

I need to make up a new batch of dosing solution from my dry trace fert's that i bought from AE a while ago.

I've never been sure on the rough amounts i should dissolve as the AE site instructions work from a "less is better - work up" principal and my tank doesnt respond quick enough to work these things out well enough.

I have low ish light - about 2wpg in old money but pressurised co2. So i work on a principal of 2 day EI, rather then the three day version.

The tank is about 174L but i tend to work things out for about 40 USG.

So - if i was mixing up 500ml of solution to dose twice in one week with 10ml roughly how much should i use?

Additionally my GH/KH have always been on the low side as i live in the lovely soft water area of edinburgh. They sit around 3/4... should be be adding extra calcium and magnesium? or just magnesium? or should i just not bother.

I am aware the AE trace mix is short of magnesium.

I have the calcium and magnesium sulphate ready in the house, i was just unsure if i needed it. If i do, can i just add it to the overall trace solution mix?

Thanks in advance,

John

Hi,
adding 15g to 250ml of water will give you about the same concentration as TPN - 10ml per 100l.

If you were to add calcium & magnesium, then just add a GH Booster which supplies both, and it adds the other metals to your water.
I wouldnt add the calcium and magnesium sulphate to the trace, as i am unsure on the chelator used unless someone else could clear that up.
I wouldnt add it unless your plants are showing signs in these defficiencies, but seen as you have it already it wouldnt do any harm...

Back