Sourcing Apistogramma Kullander/Kullanderi/Gigas

Discussion in 'Fish' started by Kyle Lambert, 18 Oct 2018.

1. Kyle Lambert

Kyle Lambert Member

As the title suggests, i'm looking for the recently described Apistogramma Kullander, also known as Kullanderi and Gigas. If anyone knows where i can source said fish, especially local to suffolk, i'd really appreciate it. Cheers.

2. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

3. Kyle Lambert

Kyle Lambert Member

I know that it has been bred in Canada and sold there, im hoping i can get hold of something from someone. There is a supposedly guy locally who knows one of the guys who described the fish but i'm having difficulty getting hold of him at the moment. As for the pricing... yeah i need to be careful of how much that would cost.

dw1305 likes this.
  4. alto

alto Member

Cost in Sept 2017

Aquatic Clarity has F1 juveniles (3/4” - 1”) listed surprisingly cheaply which suggests they aren’t too difficult to breed :)

(ask George to bring some back from Aquatic Experience ;))

dw1305 likes this.
  5. Kyle Lambert

Kyle Lambert Member

George as in George Farmer or am i missing something?

$60 per fish for the Kullander... not too bad, but added on shipping...

Gotta convince the wife its a good idea, breed them and make money (maybe) haha.

6. alto

alto Member

Yes, he’s at Aquatic Experience in New Jersey this weekend, live Aquascaping at the Tropica booth

Given the scarcity of these fish it would be worthwhile to invest in the recommended minimum 6 fish when hoping to successfully pair dwarf cichlids, the cost is only $50 per fish (under 40£) which sounds pretty outstanding for a recent discovery fish from an area that’s in the back of beyond

dw1305 likes this.
  7. Kyle Lambert

Kyle Lambert Member

does sound cheap for a new fish, just gotta convince the wife that £300 is a sound investment, haha.

Worst case scenario i might just go for the zebra acara i've been eyeing up. Not sure how they feel about plants but the blue acaras ive had in the past were ok.

8. alto

alto Member

I assumed you have considerable Apistogramma experience ... I’d not invest in any rare fish without a suitable setup & species type knowledge

Conort2 likes this.