• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400l mixed community

Yeah he’s great, more interested in what I’m doing than what’s going on in the tank. Whenever I go near the freezer he goes mental as he knows that’s where his frozen food is. I think it’s a he as it hasn’t grown much since I got it and is around the three inch mark, I think females get a bit larger.

I’m just lucky I found one that isn’t interested in its tank mates as he could do some serious damage. His bite is ridiculously strong, he can crush large Malaysian trumpet snails with ease. He’s got me a couple of times by mistake when hand feeding and it bloody hurts!

I’m just lucky I found one that isn’t interested in its tank mates as he could do some serious damage. His bite is ridiculously strong, he can crush large Malaysian trumpet snails with ease. He’s got me a couple of times by mistake when hand feeding and it bloody hurts!
No, no, no. It’s not a mistake. He is just working out how to eventually consume you. 😂

Hope everyone’s good.

Not much to report on the big tank, everything’s ticking along nicely. I have had a few trappings and presumed spawns from the whiptails but unfortunately I’ve been too slow to pull the eggs. Both times the male appears to be fanning eggs, he stays in his cave and doesn’t leave even for food. However both times I’ve ended up with an l134 in the cave. Not sure if the eggs are hatching and getting eaten by tank mates or the l134 are pushing the male off the eggs and eating them. Next time I will pull them from the male earlier.

In the small blackwater tank in the cabinet that houses my corydoras tukano and corydoras nijseni I have added some Betta rubra. They’re a small mouth brooding Betta that seem to do fine in mixed sex groups. I have two pairs and apart from the odd squabble they seem to be fine together. The males are continually holding eggs and I have even seen a decent sized fry lurking in the moss who appears to have evaded its tank mates. I’m sure in a heavily planted species tank you could end up with a decent amount of fry. They’re a stunning hardy species, they really should be more popular but I think wild Betta seem to be a bit niche. They’re great for small tanks and seem like they could be a better option than dwarf cichlids in these situations. These Rubra are the first wild Betta species I’ve kept but I’m definitely now keen to keep more species in the future.

Also have some corydoras pantanalensis and Gossei in quarantine fattening up. Both are wish list species for me and I’m excited to see them grow out, they’ll be stunners when larger.

Cheers
75D3FDEE-D746-4D05-8F0C-4B5733211808.png
43B28DFE-F9D8-45D8-BB2F-8AB18BE1D669.png
C460B1D9-AA01-40EB-9D00-255AFCEE9CCA.png

Last edited:
In the small blackwater tank in the cabinet that houses my corydoras tukano and corydoras nijseni I have added some Betta rubra. They’re a small mouth brooding Betta that seem to do fine in mixed sex groups. I have two pairs and apart from the odd squabble they seem to be fine together. The males are continually holding eggs and I have even seen a decent sized fry lurking in the moss who appears to have evaded its tank mates. I’m sure in a heavily planted species tank you could end up with a decent amount of fry. They’re a stunning hardy species, they really should be more popular but I think wild Betta seem to be a bit niche.
Agree. I've been keeping Betta Albimarginata for a little while now and I've never enjoyed a fish as much as these guys. Rubra are definitely on my list to try, and betta enisae if I ever set up a 240l I have in the garage...

C.pantanalensis, very nice congratulations. I've nearly bought them twice but have to contain myself, until I've got a more suitable setup. I'll be living vicariously through your journal until then.

C.pantanalensis, very nice congratulations. I've nearly bought them twice but have to contain myself, until I've got a more suitable setup. I'll be living vicariously through your journal until then.
They’re pretty big for a corydoras and seem to enjoy swimming rapidly mid water which I wasn’t expecting. I can’t wait for the males to be in full spawning colour.

They’re pretty big for a corydoras and seem to enjoy swimming rapidly mid water which I wasn’t expecting. I can’t wait for the males to be in full spawning colour.
I think there's a Chris Lukhaup video of them doing just that. It's the only thing that puts me off. I like corys that stay on the bottom, where they belong, read the book guys, know your place :lol:

Hi all,
Not sure if the eggs are hatching and getting eaten by tank mates or the l134 are pushing the male off the eggs and eating them.
That one I think.
In the small blackwater tank in the cabinet that houses my corydoras tukano and corydoras nijseni I have added some Betta rubra.
screenshot-2024-02-15-at-22-23-08-png.png

Beyond gorgeous, you are just trying to upset me now, aren't you? This is the fish version of @Wookii 's <"tank stand">.
corydoras pantanalensis and Gossei in quarantine fattening up. Both are wish list species for me and I’m excited to see them grow out, they’ll be stunners when larger.
Just rub it in.........
Agree. I've been keeping Betta Albimarginata for a little while now and I've never enjoyed a fish as much as these guys
Arghhhhhhhhh............., another dream fish and the toys are well and truly <"out of the pram"> now.

In all seriousness these are some fantastic fish and I really hope they do well for you.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
It was between these and the Rubra. Have you had any luck spawning them yet?
I have, my pair constantly spawn now, so much so that I have to occasionally separate the male to fatten him back up between holding eggs! Im raising 3 F1 juveniles that I noticed by chance as fry, and have a tank I can use just for the male when hes holding eggs now so im hoping to raise alot more in their next clutch of eggs!
Arghhhhhhhhh............., another dream fish and the toys are well and truly <"out of the pram"> now.

In all seriousness these are some fantastic fish and I really hope they do well for you.
Happy to discuss a pair of F1s once they've grown on a bit more! theyre about 6-8mm at the moment...

I have, my pair constantly spawn now, so much so that I have to occasionally separate the male to fatten him back up between holding eggs!
This is the exact same problem I have with the rubras. The females want to spawn constantly and once the males release it’s not too long until they are holding again. Unfortunately I don’t really have another tank to separate them in to.
Happy to discuss a pair of F1s once they've grown on a bit more! theyre about 6-8mm at the moment...
That’s very kind of you. Hopefully I’ll be able to return the favour with the rubras. I’m hoping there are more fry than the one large one I’ve seen. The tank is crammed with moss so hopefully they’re hidden away somewhere.
Beyond gorgeous, you are just trying to upset me now, aren't you?
Hopefully I’ll have some F1’s for you one day Darrell! Likewise the same with the corydoras.

I want to ask you about your a. Lineta. I purchased 2 pairs - one pair is in a 20 long with ro water @ 80 degree; the other is in a (wc) discus tank @84 (180 gallons). Neither have much colouring but they are spunky and get along (most polygamous species would have more m/f aggression). Do your lineta have much colouring and now that it has been over a year how are they doing? Also what temp. is the aquarium.

My discus tank has 10 wc discus; 5 wc blue rams; pair lineta and a bunch of cardinals and 1 l204.

thanks (hope this isn't distracting request for information).

now that it has been over a year how are they doing?
I unfortunately ended up losing the pair of them. Not sure what it was, they both passed at separate times. I was absolutely gutted, the male has to be one of the most stunning fish I’ve kept. Never seen any for sale since.

They seemed to be pretty hardy and didn’t need either super soft or really warm water to spawn. The female had plenty of spawns she managed to raise to free swimming in the community tank. I can’t really remember the exact parameters but I recon tds was somewhere between 100-120 at the time. Temperature was around 26 degrees. The female would go pretty hard on the male once she spawned and would protect the spawn pretty much by herself. She was tiny fish but would manage to keep the whole community of fish out of her two foot section of the tank.

Good luck with them, they’re a great species and in my opinion one of the most beautiful apistos.

I unfortunately ended up losing the pair of them. Not sure what it was, they both passed at separate times. I was absolutely gutted, the male has to be one of the most stunning fish I’ve kept. Never seen any for sale since.

They seemed to be pretty hardy and didn’t need either super soft or really warm water to spawn. The female had plenty of spawns she managed to raise to free swimming in the community tank. I can’t really remember the exact parameters but I recon tds was somewhere between 100-120 at the time. Temperature was around 26 degrees. The female would go pretty hard on the male once she spawned and would protect the spawn pretty much by herself. She was tiny fish but would manage to keep the whole community of fish out of her two foot section of the tank.

Good luck with them, they’re a great species and in my opinion one of the most beautiful apistos.
Did yours have any colour to them ? Also do you know if they were tank raised or wc ?

Mine are wild caught - i can't tell if they are full grown but one of the males have recently develop just a tiny touch of red in the face - i have two pairs - one in a discus aquarium (not nearly as nice as yours but i hope the plants develop some substance in a year - these are wc fishes in ro water - the 2nd pair is in a 20 long by themselves but again almost no colouring on it but it might develop some with age - that aquarium has a strong tint to it (leaves and drift wood ). To be honest my favorite set of apisto right now are sp winkelfleck which are a bit too human friendly esp for wild fishes but given a choice of always hiding or always begging for food i suppose it is nicer to see them:
qq3.jpg

a. winkelfleck male (the female is also not bad looking with a lot of patterns):
z99.jpg

(this is a 2 month old picture he has developed stronger colours and pattern since then)
This was a male borelli i had 2 years ago - i dont' see the dark blue very often - most seem to have more yellow green:
borelli.jpg

I'm mixed on borelli - i describe them as pretty but boring - very pretty but very boring so while i appreciated the fish i wouldn't call it my favorite - the female was also less interesting than either the lineta or winkelfleck.

More Betta Rubra fry keep popping up. I appear to have had at least two successful spawns as there is quite a size difference between the two sets of fry. These smaller ones now feel they are large enough to make an appearance without getting eaten. I have no idea how many are in there as the tank is crammed full of Java moss.

B343208A-778C-438D-B71A-8707082322AB.png

Just looking at your puffer - what an amazing tank for a rotund lil guy 😍 also what gorgeous Betta rubra!

Back