• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

400l mixed community

1061C4EE-B44F-45A4-95A9-F717302FE6E5.jpeg

Caption that!

They look stunning mate, they've clearly masterd the art camouflage.
cheers mate, probably shouldn’t have put them in a tank that had black and white sand really!

The fish on the right is the one which looked like it was going to explode, I was certain he was a goner.

My whip does a similar thing; it gets even harder to find em when they partially bury themselves. Tricky little devils. I have a catfish eating plants; do you know if whips will eat plants? Specifically they have eaten all my 2 year old Blyxa novo and Blyxa aubertii; kind of sad :(

My whip does a similar thing; it gets even harder to find em when they partially bury themselves. Tricky little devils. I have a catfish eating plants; do you know if whips will eat plants? Specifically they have eaten all my 2 year old Blyxa novo and Blyxa aubertii; kind of sad :(
I don’t think whiptails would do it but you never know. What species do you have?

I have a male of one of these in the big tank and a lot of my echinodorus has been decimated recently. But I think it’s my ancistrus dolichopterus doing it rather than one of these.

I don’t think whiptails would do it but you never know. What species do you have?

I have a male of one of these in the big tank and a lot of my echinodorus has been decimated recently. But I think it’s my ancistrus dolichopterus doing it rather than one of these.
I have three candidates:
1) red lizard whiptail (some sort of hybrid muck of a fish)
2) regular columbia whiptail (Rineloricaria eigenmanni) -> this critter is super friendly and it takes a lot to spook him
3) a gazillion baby bn pleco (mom is leaving the tank along with all the babies when i move and tear down the aquarium and i'm getting some keyholes to make sure they don't come back - when i move i'll move the content of the 40B (36lx18wx16h (inches for us americans)) to a custom tank that is (72lx30wx18h). This should happen within 60 days maybe sooner if am lucky.
-

It’ll more than likely be these, they’re even more of a problem when small as they’re light enough to sit on most leaves without falling off and chew away.
Yea.... real mistake on my part putting a male and female together. In many ways they are worse than kribs. I will say they are kind of cute when they sit at the very top of the aquarum on a large leaf - half emersed but enough is enough.

Hi, I hope everyone’s good?

Been an extremely long time since I made an update, life’s extremely busy now I have a little one to look after.

The tank has changed drastically since the last update. The tank had become extremely overgrown and quite frankly a mess. The planting was a combination of echinodorus, nymphaea and aponogeton which had become huge. I couldn’t see the fish and the tank was full of algae due to the flow being hampered by the plant mass. A rescape was definitely in order. My original plan was to have two islands of hardscape and plants with a sort of valley in between however due to the plants I chose this disappeared pretty quickly. All the swords, what I thought was all of the lily’s and the aponogeton went. I was left with crypts and java fern to play with. None of these grow too tall so my originally plan of an open valley should hopefully remain. I’ve had a rogue lily pop up at the back but I think it looks quite nice as long as I keep on top of keeping it a manageable size. I’ve also added some rounded cobbles to give the tank a more riverine feel.

21C5680E-F5C4-4D1D-95F4-CD1B58A0C3DB.jpeg

372668BA-5400-4017-AD41-EFDF9E39B214.jpeg

As you can see from the full tank shot, fish stocking has also changed. Some fish have been moved on and some I have unfortunately lost. The little one is very interested in the tank but some of the stock I had previously would be terrified if you approached the tank.I wanted something that would be bold, colourful and not scared of people approaching. I decided rainbowfish would be my best bet. There are not any species in here anymore that I would class as blackwater species so I’ve upped the tds to just over the 100 mark to keep both the rainbows and the remaining species happy. I’ve selected a mix of species, there’s a fair sized group of melonataenia boesemani, a few Glossolepis pseudoincisus, melonataenia mairasi and chilatherina alleni Red wapoga to add to my existing tetras and catfish.The boesemani shoal may need to be thinned out in the future as they’ll end up a pretty sizeable fish however they grow extremely slowly and for now everything is fine. The rainbows appear to be doing well and the species that have remained are doing well with the slightly harder water.
B82B95B3-BD1E-485D-9AF7-DE85D7E885C6.png
72226C06-3571-4953-B253-70956C616712.png

BB20B944-F022-4A86-A16F-40EA70AFEFB2.png

5D3B6D81-12E5-484D-97D5-E74BD8BF12C9.png

One benefit with the slightly harder water is all of my crypts have exploded in growth. They survived previously but never thrived or spread. Now most species are throwing runners everywhere and growth is very healthy. I’m happy with how the tank has turned out and it should be more manageable going forwards with the plants I have chosen.

I’ll try not to leave it so long before my next post and will try and keep you updated with the tank!

Cheers

Yea i've given up on lilies - when i first got them i though they were wonderful but because they spread so fast and all over the place in addition to raw size if you don't keep on top of them... my 120 is 50% covered by lilies and the light reduction is causing major problems to other species - wish the clown loaches would eat them.

012CCC6C-1169-47C7-94A3-F5D7289D9422.png
49C05712-F9C9-48E4-8C99-1AE709BF36F2.png
E7D4E40A-A7DE-4BB5-B817-AA055F3BEBC3.png
6D814969-43FA-4915-9792-EBDC458FDF27.jpeg

The tanks doing great and the crypts are exploding growth. Probably the happiest I’ve been with this tank, Growth is great and manageable.

The rainbowfish are always up the front wanting to be fed but the little hyphessobrycon in this tank are still some of my favourites. The hyphessobrycon sp cherry red and peugoti are stunners which should hopefully become more popular in the trade now they’re available tank bred. The red cherrys can actually pop a lot more than this when displaying.

Cheers

Looks like you have pink jacboi and nurri rosen .... My pink jacobi has gotten close to 14 inches high and keeps growing.

Hope you’re all good?

The whiptails were posing this evening so I thought I’d take a couple of pictures. The hairy male in the first picture was the bloated fish I was certain I’d lose when I first got these. A couple of females are starting to get fat so hopefully I get some eggs in the future.

Cheers

8A235CAB-2136-455C-860F-E92A997B7B50.jpeg
C6FDDBE0-B7E1-48FD-BD79-7DBF89F7E9AB.png
09F0EA53-B15F-46D7-B77D-CA96D7F75A2F.jpeg

Last edited:
Hope you’re all good?

Not much to update the tanks still plodding along with no issues. I realised that there is a fish I added on here some time ago now which I haven’t shown in any of the updates. It’s a tetraodon shoutedeni, the Congo spotted puffer. I wanted something that was really interactive with anyone who came near the tank. Cichlids are always a good option but I didn’t want anything too large. I looked into one of these puffers and the feed back varied from killers that can’t be kept with anything to harmless that ignore other fish. I took a gamble and hoped I’d get the latter. Luckily for me I ended up with a harmless one.

I kept it in quarantine for a long period not to just make sure it was healthy but to also monitor its behaviour, it seemed fine so i then released it in to the community. The puffer ignores every fish in the tank and is more interested in what I’m doing outside of the tank. It’s probably the best fish I’ve kept in all the years I’ve been fish keeping, it’s a proper little pet full of personality.

62B2AF6E-0BF1-4271-9C41-B33F521271F2.jpeg
88734585-CBA4-445D-901E-68EBF5BB92A8.jpeg
B9BE5694-3869-45CD-BECE-8DCD446ACB1E.jpeg
DA9B16C7-6697-4659-8E27-ED442D8DD358.png

What a great choice in puffer, a very personable fish with great curiosity. Expensive, but worth it in the long run. And they ate not prone to following fish and taken perfect little circular nips out of their finage.

Back