• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

South American clear water stream fish list???

14crazychris

Hi guys

So worked out my (227L) aquascape design for my South American Clearwater stream tank however I’m debating fish species. Ideally want to go for a naturalistic approach with fish from this environment. I’m going for small high end plecos (max size 4 inch) so the other species must be based around these. Ideally want 3/5 different species of pleco. Below is my stock ideas, changes or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Aiming for a group of feature fish no larger than 10cm (currently the checkerboards) but must stand out compared to the others, and then small dither fish from the South American clear water stream environment. Have two return pumps of 1000lph and a wave maker which will be hidden in the back to provide some movement and flow.

3/5 plecos (leopard frog, zebra, queen arabesque etc)

1 whiptail catfish

6 panda corys

10 x Ray tetra

6 marbled hatchets

6 checkerboard cichlids (filamentosus)

Others??? Or changes??

Any help would be great fully appreciated

Cheers Chris

If I was you I'd go for one or two species of plecs. I've done the whole one of each and it doesn't make for a great setup. You'll get much better interactions and a display if you go for fewer species. I'd go for a group l134 and the l260. Both from the same river and no risk of hybridisation due to one being a peckoltia and the other a hypancistrus. I'd also go for a Cory like a sterbai or a duplicereus. The pandas won't appreciate the warm temps that the plecs like.

All the other species youve listed should get on fine and will make a great setup. Rummy noses and cardinals are always a good choice for this sort of setup.

Cheers Conor

If I was you I'd go for one or two species of plecs. I've done the whole one of each and it doesn't make for a great setup. You'll get much better interactions and a display if you go for fewer species. I'd go for a group l134 and the l260. Both from the same river and no risk of hybridisation due to one being a peckoltia and the other a hypancistrus. I'd also go for a Cory like a sterbai or a duplicereus. The pandas won't appreciate the warm temps that the plecs like.

All the other species youve listed should get on fine and will make a great setup. Rummy noses and cardinals are always a good choice for this sort of setup.

Cheers Conor

Cheers that’s a great help! Was going for pandas as they stay small and will give a better sense of scale but will look into the other two species, I know sterbais can get big. Will have a look into those two plecos species, was worried about fighting and squabbling between multiple species. I do like cardinals and rummynose so may opt for those if they are more suited to the environment. Really great to have another point of view and other species to think about. Will also be adding six orange Peru ottos which I forgot to mention in my first post. Thanks for the help, really appreciated.

Cheers Chris

Pencil fish are great, I have both marginatus and eques in mine and they’re always up to something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,If you go for a Hypancistrus spp. you will very rarely see them, they are all very nocturnal and reclusive.

Peckoltia compta or Ancistrus claro would be a bit more visible.

cheers Darrel

Ok cheers will have a look at those, would rather have species I can see, won’t have too many hiding spots though.
Cheers Chris

Pencil fish are great, I have both marginatus and eques in mine and they’re always up to something!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Have had a look at these but need more stream orientated species, not sure how the pencils would cope in the flow?
Cheers

Hi all,
won’t have too many hiding spots though.
Most of the small plecs are pretty reclusive, they will find a space behind a filter, under some bog wood etc. to spend the day-light hours. The best option is to give them at least a cave each, if they feel secure they are more likely to venture out when the light are on. I've kept Ancistrus L100, Hypancistrus debilitterra (L129), and Hypancistrus L333 in a planted tank and I very, very rarely saw any of them. I haven't kept any other ones, but I believe that H. zebra is even more reclusive.

If you want a more visible fish then just sticking with Corydoras might be a good idea.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,Most of the small plecs are pretty reclusive, they will find a space behind a filter, under some bog wood etc. to spend the day-light hours. The best option is to give them at least a cave each, if they feel secure they are more likely to venture out when the light are on. I've kept Ancistrus L100, Hypancistrus debilitterra (L129), and Hypancistrus L333 in a planted tank and I very, very rarely saw any of them. I haven't kept any other ones, but I believe that H. zebra is even more reclusive.

If you want a more visible fish then just sticking with Corydoras might be a good idea.

cheers Darrel

Ok cheers, my scape is pretty open. Plants will be in the areas where there are no stones (picture below). Not really any hiding places, really want small high end plecos so might have to make a cave behind the wood. Need some more advice on stream tetra species and what other dither fish I could go for, otherwise I think i would have to go for cardinal tetras as suggested above.
Cheers Chris

Attachments

• 61457F4E-A733-4BD5-9A05-777676A7AA37.jpeg
    61457F4E-A733-4BD5-9A05-777676A7AA37.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 114
Ok cheers will have a look at those, would rather have species I can see, won’t have too many hiding spots though.
Cheers Chris
As Darrell said it doesn't really work like that with plecs. The more hiding spaces you have the safer they feel and the more you'll see them. The caves plecs love are terracotta tubes open at one end. If you angle these right you will be able to see the plecs quite a lot. I never had issues seeing my hypancistrus however their tanks were stacked with rocks. They would always come out for food. The only plec I have had that was always visible and never hid was l75 peckoltia sabaji. Fish was always on show and would actually come to the glass when it saw me. Unfortunately they're more in the 6-8inch range.

as for tetras I'd stick to smaller species like cardinals and embers if you're going with the discrossus. Wouldn't want anything too greedy and intimidating with them.

Cheers Conor

As Darrell said it doesn't really work like that with plecs. The more hiding spaces you have the safer they feel and the more you'll see them. The caves plecs love are terracotta tubes open at one end. If you angle these right you will be able to see the plecs quite a lot. I never had issues seeing my hypancistrus however their tanks were stacked with rocks. They would always come out for food. The only plec I have had that was always visible and never hid was l75 peckoltia sabaji. Fish was always on show and would actually come to the glass when it saw me. Unfortunately they're more in the 6-8inch range.

as for tetras I'd stick to smaller species like cardinals and embers if you're going with the discrossus. Wouldn't want anything too greedy and intimidating with them.

Cheers Conor

Ok cheers, will aim to make some hiding places behind the wood or with rocks in the fore ground. Should be fairly straight forward. That’s a good idea, prefer the smaller fish look, helps to emulate scale. Will look into embers and other small tetra species, also to check there origin and habitat type. Not sure wether 1 larger shoal or multiple tetra species will look better? The tank is a 2ft cube. Total volume with sump is 227L.
Cheers Chris

Back