• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Sparkling gouramis and Hara Jerdonis

Garuf

Hello, my local lfs has both of these very pretty fish in does anyone know anything about them, shoaling tendencies, number per tank so on and so forth? Max size would be nice on both as they both vary wildly, especially when using common names.
Thanks in advance.

The sparkling gouramis are the only one's I've kept out of those two. They never seemed to get much bigger than about3-4cms. Absolutely spectacular fish (though they can look really boring in the shop if they're in a bare tank). They're not really shoaling fish. I loved them though. i kept four in an 18" tank.

Mark

I haven't kept them, but have always been interested in the Sparkling Gourami and have heard great things about them! The main thing that's always said is that they look a bit drab in the shop, but really colour up once settled.

They can be a little agressive with each other when pairing up. I have kept 4 in the past, and there always seemed to be one dominent one. They also "croak" in the evenings when feeling frisky, which freaked me out the first time I heard it, untill I figured out what it was :D

Mine have spawned once, but didn't get any survivors (eaten by other fish). At the moment, my remaining 2 control the population of fancy guppies completely :)

Lovely fish!

One of mine, taken last year:
03_54L_gourami_02.jpg

Cheers guys, they're really lovely in the tank already and teeny tiny, I'd say about a cm... So the max length is about 3-4cm? Are they Co2 tollerant?

Hara Jerdonis get to about 1.5" apparently, but mine is still around 1" or less.

I don't see mine too often as they are a very private fish.. I've been told they will hunt fry and shrimplets.

They prefer well oxygenated waters too.

The hara's should be okay in a high tech tank, they're really beautiful fish, I'm thinking a trio for my 60cm, I did want Hara Hara but apparently they're bigger at about 2 1/2 inches?

What are these Haras (sorry, too lazy to look for myself :p)? Do they have a common name?

Moth or anchor cat's, they've been my personal favourite cats since I saw them on franks aquarium site years back.

Back