Special offer on best Anti Virus Software

Discussion in 'Off Topic / Chit-Chat' started by LondonDragon, 10 May 2009.

1. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Administrator Staff Member

2. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

That is a good price. Kaspersky is the business as well. Great piece of software.

3. mjenner

mjenner Member

Alternatively... get a Mac (or build a Hackintosh until Apple release more affordable, powerful machines) or stick Linux (Ubuntu) on the box and don't worry about Antivirus software! :lol:

Sorry, I know it's not a useful answer but my year of MS independence is something I'm quite proud of.

I kicked Vista off my HDD last year after getting hacked off with Vista and Anti Virus software amongst other things.

I first switched to Ubuntu for about a year and more recently to OS X (Linux was really good and has progressed as a desktop a LOT from the early days (with WinXP in a VM using VirtualBox)), but I was fed-up with the idiosyncrasies of GIMP's UI (an open source Photoshop equivalent) and wanted a more simple "it just works" experience along with being able to run "proper" software (although Linux fits with me better from a philosophical point of view :) ).

I haven't bothered with the anti-virus protection racket on OS X as there are relatively few viruses or trojans written for it (and these all seem to be piggybacking dodgy bittorrent isos, if you don't pirate, then there's no problem! (or as they say, if you can't be good, be careful (I like to think I fall in the good category though ;))

I run little-snitch to see what's trying to call out to the internet and block it if it's not required as well as being behind my router's firewall makes me feel safe enough from most threats.

If you're getting hacked of with Windows it's worth giving the "dark-side" a try... go on, switch today! :D

PS. Was thinking about trying Windows 7 RC, and it doesn't look any better than Vista in my opinion: bloated, odd UI and still absolutely stuffed full of DRM... as well as having different versions with different features again... no thanks... I think they should give up on the OS game and stick to what they're good at... office software (although this is also debatable sometimes) and making optical mice! :D

4. LondonDragon

Oh no the war between Apple and Windows again haha whats wrong with these people :p
    Windows is fine if you not running Vista :p and Windows 7 is excelent by the way ;) don't compare it to Vista.

I have both Windows and Apple machines at home and I always use my windows boxes, there is nothing wrong with Windows as long you know what you doing and don't start installing stuff you don't need.

This post was just to highlight there is a great AV package on sale for a great price. I have been running Kaspersky for about 4-5 years now and since I have started using it I never had any virus/trojan related problems on any of my PCs.

With Kaspersky I would also suggest you install Ad-Aware, SpyBot, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and CCleaner, run each package once every couple of weeks and you will never have any more problems on your machine.

Any questions just ask :)

5. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

We use Kaspersky at work, on approx 6000 machines. We're running an older version for various reasons but the licensing is so cheap compared to other products! Seems to do a good enough job, though our older version can be a bit resource hungry. Hopefully when they finally bring out the next corporate version (delayed again) it'll be a lot better.

I'm tempted by this though. 3 licenses would sort me and my parents out, or maybe just all my PCs at home :lol:

6. LondonDragon

Its free postage too ;)

7. Joecoral

Joecoral Member

They got you on commission Paulo? :lol:

8. mjenner

mjenner Member

Heh, fair enough, I guess I can only attribute it to people having a eureka moment when they first start successfully using something other than windows.

True, although I tend to get annoyed with an OS if it starts to get in the way of what "I" want to do (which in that instance was to not crash and to allow me to edit and convert video from my PVR without problems :)) I'd like to think I'm fairly tech savvy and Vista was patched up, had antivirus and Ad-Aware and SpyBot were run on there fairly regularly, but it seemed wrong to have to do all that just to keep a stable system.

Yep, fair enough, it is a fairly good price and from what I hear it is fairly good, but I object to paying for Anti Virus though (got far better things to spend what little money I have on! :) ). On windows I used to use AVG free until they started adding in that internet safety tool which started trying to proxy my internet connection (grr), currently using Avira on my WinXP VM. :)

Yep, good advice for a windows user indeed, I'd also add using a software firewall and preferably accessing the internet from behind a router with a hardware firewall (most routers have one these days) for a little bit of extra defence against the script-kiddies and bot-herders.

Regarding Win7 though, little bit opposed to it due to past histories and how Microsoft works (although Apple is getting as devious too these days :bored: ) , but I might give it another go (probably won't be my main OS though) I tend only to use Windows for work (some custom win apps and a bit of .net development) and Games (although I don't tend to get much time to play them these days, normally got my arms in one fishtank or another! :D)

One more thing to add to everyone as general advice, don't go anywhere anything with "Norton" or "McAfee" on it! Once you install Norton it infests your PC (much like algae, but a liberal dose of excel and upping the CO2 won't kill it! :D). I suffer McAfee a work, a hateful little antivirus app... regularly uses up most of my mem for no good reason and I can't kill the process.

9. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Horses for courses IMO... Back when I was a sys admin I found McAfee to be the best enterprise AV solution by far.(I am talking remotely rolled out AV over a WAN spanning a few hundred machines and a few countries with different policies applied throughout.)

I have Kaspersky at home by the way and thoroughly recommend it ;)

10. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Here is a question... can you stockpile the licenses from this and then use them individually as and when needed? As I need one license now for a new PC, and then another for an existing PC in 6 months time.

If so, can you push it a bit further as well, and use two of the licenses consecutively on the same PC? i.e. install one now, then in a years time use another license for the next year? Am happy to uninstall and reinstall if need be.

11. LondonDragon

Once you use a license the only way to re-use them is to reformat the PC and start from fresh, we here at work get a Kaspersky license every year that has an expiry date, no mater if you install the day before it will expire it still expires on that date and not in a years time.
    For the home user though it usually means you can install it on one machine and have a year, then when you install on the next even if its 6 months down the line it will add one year to that machine too.
    The 3 user license are for machines connected in the same network, for example if you have 4 machines on a switch/hub at home and install it on all of them it will know you are using more than 3 and the last machine to connect to the network will get the error that you are using more licenses than you should.

12. a1Matt

a1Matt Member

Cheers Paulo, that is helpful. I've gone ahead and bought it :)