• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"special plant" t5ho bulb have less par ?

eminor

hello, i have an amtra power plant which is a pink bulb with blue and red spectrum, it seems really weak in comparison with standard white bulb, does it develop less par, or it's my eyes that trick me ? thx

Human eyes give more importance/ have higher spectral sensitivity to light in the yellow- green spectrum under bright/ daytime conditions.
This is the reason why light sources that also emit light in the green wavelengths (including white lights) are perceived as brighter. Just a human bias. In fact it's a good illustration why we are interested in PAR ( equal importance to light between 400-700nm) instead of lux/lumens ( importance given according to human perception of brightness).

In summary, one can't say 2 light sources with different spectrum have the same or less PAR just on how bright they look.

Human eyes give more importance/ have higher spectral sensitivity to light in the yellow- green spectrum under bright/ daytime conditions.
This is the reason why light sources that also emit light in the green wavelengths (including white lights) are perceived as brighter. Just a human bias. In fact it's a good illustration why we are interested in PAR ( equal importance to light between 400-700nm) instead of lux/lumens ( importance given according to human perception of brightness).

In summary, one can't say 2 light sources with different spectrum have the same or less PAR just on how bright they look.
So i was right, my eyes/brain are playing with me x) thanks for those information, i think i'll never stop to learn new things in this hobby

Last edited:
if you are after high PAR, simply add a bulb that is high in Blue Spectrum. but plant wont grow that well unless you meet the Red Spectrum as well, red spectrum will usually have a lower PAR compared to Blue. meeting the plant needed spectrum is more important than meeting the high PAR

Back