• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spezial N - Nitrogen Fertilizer

Hi,

I'm glad that you report back. It's kind of the same experience all users are doing when dosing with that nitrogen fertilizer.

Best regards
Tobi

Hi,

yep... I'm using a recipe on my own tanks without urea for the past 3 months. Working fine too and I have good feedback from other testers with that recipe which had some problems with GDA with the urea in the fert.

Best regards
Tobi

Tobi said:
Hi,

yep... I'm using a recipe on my own tanks without urea for the past 3 months. Working fine too and I have good feedback from other testers with that recipe which had some problems with GDA with the urea in the fert.

Best regards
Tobi
No GDA in my tanks and HC is huge in size, just like hydroponics grown.
I believe what happens with this recipe is that Ca++ and Mg++ are more available to plants, because N is always in high demand and it comes from Ca(NO3)2 .4H2O, Mg(NO3)2. 6H2O. It is very likely to be the case especially in soft water tanks. It is only a theory. No proof.

Next test is to remove the Mg from the solution and test that one.

Urea and NH4 forms are a mixed bag, if the folks have few fish= big results, 10% better growth etc........with decent fish loads/feeding, this is less the case.

I have run tanks on pure NO3 without any NH4 or fish, or sediment sources, plants did very well in those cases also.

I'm not sure we can ascribe any relationship with NH4 and GDA, but maybe.

Mg can really change things if it's not dosed and is assumed to be okay.
Ca? Not so much, I've never been able to induce Ca++ stress in aquatic plants even with my super super soft Snow melt tap water, nor the SF folk's who have the same.

The other issue is that ca(NO3)2 is much easier to dissolve than say CaSO4..........but KNO3 is easy to dissolve also. So perhaps a faster slug of Ca++ helps somehow vs slow dissolving of CaSO4. Using CaCl2 could hep answer that if assume the Cl- has no effect.

I use Ca(NO3)2 but for my reef and seagrass tank.

Another slight modification might be this Toby if you do a trace mix in conjunction:

CMS + B or similar.....
DTPA
Fe gluconate
Easy carb or Excel or generic at 1/4 strength

A PO4 with
KH2PO4
1/4 distilled white vinegar in the solution prior to adding the KH2PO4.

The Vinegar will also do well in the Trace mix if you add it ahead of time in the tap water used to make the solution.

any updates? i'm curious how this is coming along or if there are any plans for subsequent formulas.

George Farmer said:
I have a custom mix now without urea and added KH2PO4. Works great!

Hi George
I ditched the urea as it was affecting my fish.
Ive made a new batch up....did you prep the Kh2Po4 before mixing it with the other salts?
Whats your recipe?
Do you not think Toby's original is lean in comparison to what comes up on the calculator that Tom Barr/Wet uploaded?
Cheers
hoggie

Hi,

I've not tested a new charge of "all in one" yet. The last one needed more nitrates in comparison to the micros and po4.

I do not think that the Spezial N is somehow "lean". You can add as much as you want. I prefer 3-4 ppm nitrates per day in my highlight tanks...

The urea does not seem to play an essential part in this fertilizer. I'm and many other testers are using one recipe without urea and with even less potassium in the mix. Works even better for some people.
The urea only gets problematic if your pH is >7. But some reported back GDA in combination with urea.

Best regards
Tobi

Hi Tobi
Thanks for replying
I was referring too the recipe in the solution.....not the dosing regime.
I removed the urea as a precaution as the fish became stressed.
I have a Ph of 7.4...7.6. no GDA.
Dosing half EI....in a non Co2 set-up...led lighting.
hoggie

Hi,

you can of course double the amount of salts. Should be no prob. The other recipe we are testing has the double amount in it.

With your pH you should stay away from urea.

Best regards
Tobi

Hi,

with your pH ammonia can form from urea. Ammonia can be deadful to fish.

Best regards
Tobi

Yea
I thought that was the answer....so i only added 3 grams of Urea in the first lot of solution i made up.

I think it would be best if you could edit the recipes to state :arrow: do not use urea if you have fish stock.....to be on the cautious side.
What do you think.
Cheers
hoggie

Hi,

on all my bottles is that warning sign and in the description too. I do not sell those recipe... everybody is free to change it. When using "recipes" you need to know a little bit what you are doing.

EDIT: I've added the warning to the first post.

Best regards
Tobi

Back