• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spirallassis

Day 11, one from before lights out earlier.

I can see quite a good increase in growth from the first day already.
20180122_212128.jpg

Since I increased to 3ml TNC complete daily I have started getting a slight surface film and white foam so assume it is too much, I will decrease to 2ml again.

Everything is settling in nicely now and the lower light is definitely making an improvement overall.
20180124_214205.jpg

50% water change, decided not to decrease the ferts but to increase the lco2 from 2ml to 3ml. See how that goes.

Overall algae is totally subdued so increasing photo period to 8hrs from 7hrs, co2 will also be increased for an extra hour to match.

Reason for light increase is mostly so I can increase the co2 period.

Last edited:
Starting to get itchy fingers with this now, I really like the AR mini and am thinking of filling out the bottom with it.... not entirely sure yet but I'm looking into other plants too.

Haven't cleaned the glass for quite a while now, it's being used as a bit of an algae indicator.

Gave the Rotala and mosses quite a trim today too.

Everything seems healthy overall and the melted crypts are well on the way back but something just isn't working overall, perhaps I need to really fill it in.
20180128_224648.jpg

This tank is quite simply annoying! No matter how much I think I've got it all right and going well it just keeps going backwards!

Co2 @approx 3bps, daily dosing 3ml lco2 and ferts, reduced light intensity, ocd daily cleaning, 30% water changes every other day and still I just can't win.

If I'm right I now see the start of BGA along with a come back in hair algae, really starting to feel like pulling it apart or just ramping up the co2 infinitely and letting it get on with it.
20180129_151802.jpg
20180129_151727_001.jpg
20180129_151652.jpg
20180129_151636.jpg
20180129_151617.jpg
20180129_151558_001.jpg

Annoying. Did you remove the tape from the LEDs?
Have you tried to do a pH profile on your CO2?

I tried, by your advice btw, to tape over some of the LEDs on my Aquasky; that, and getting the CO2 into the tank rather than the cabinet has worked wonders. Then again my light period is only 5,5 hours. But I am slowly winning.

Co2 @approx 3bps, daily dosing 3ml lco2 and ferts, reduced light intensity, ocd daily cleaning, 30% water changes every other day and still I just can't win.

Up your water changes - this is ADA soil, so I'd try their recommended protocol of large (as in up to 90% depending on the tank, & 50% being the strarting point) daily water changes
That muck growing on the wood, means lots of organics, so again, I'd do larger, daily wc
I'd also be vacuuming most of that mold/slime off in daily maintenance
Add a crew of snails, shrimp, Otos to help control the mold/slime & consume algae's - these guys will be cleaning up algae before it's even visible really, not waiting until there are massive (visible) amounts
(which is why they'are so effective in new setups)

I rescaped a 60 x 45 cm tank 3 weeks ago, minimal algae (I noticed a bit of diatoms on the Anubias yesterday) BUT that's most likely down to rapid "auxiliary" plant growth (rather than my excellent care :oops:) - the tank is basically full of green growth, in another week or so, I'll begin removing some of the fast stems, allowing more room/light for the slower plants. This is best done gradually (just like trimming) rather than all in one go

I realize this is just a few pics of your tank, but I don't see a significant mass of fast growing stems ...

AR mini usually takes 2-4 weeks to get going, & even then remains a moderate rate of growth stem plant so rather than getting more of this right now, I'd invest in "auxiliary" plants

You might try increasing CO2, but also ensure good oxygen levels - Twinstar Nano is defineitly good at this ;) - you can also use a skimmer or raise spray bar in the off-photoperiod

This aquascape isn't an easy one to start

I gave up on this, for one reason or another it was just failing and badly.

After a week of no dosing I still had a thick oil on the surface, I put it down to the aqua soil along with the algae issues.

Being certain my co2 and distribution were fine along with maintenance routine I just couldn't put up with it so pulled it all apart.

This is the tank as of yesterday.
20180206_115317.jpg
20180206_115247.jpg
20180206_112255.jpg

I gave up on this, for one reason or another it was just failing and badly.

Oh no! :inpain:
That is quite drastic... You've just started.
Did you do the waterchanges as advised by ADA?
Anyway, I hope it goes better this time.

But what did you do with all those nice bucephalandra??? :nailbiting:

Fantastic stone work :) and looks grand with the red & grey

New plants or were you able to salvage some from above?

Oh no! :inpain:
That is quite drastic... You've just started.
Did you do the waterchanges as advised by ADA?
Anyway, I hope it goes better this time.

But what did you do with all those nice bucephalandra??? :nailbiting:
The Buce became casualties of war unfortunately.

Hi all,
If you take them out of the direct bright light there won't be enough light intensity for the algae to grow, but there will be enough for the Bucephalandra plant to keep ticking over. I haven't tried this with Bucephalandra, but I've "cleaned up" Anubias and Bolbitis just my tucking them under the plant mass, and forgetting about them

cheers Darrel.

I haven't tried this with Bucephalandra, but I've "cleaned up" Anubias and Bolbitis just my tucking them under the plant mass, and forgetting about them

Exactly what i do now and then with algae-"damaged" bucephalandra and it works great like you say!

Algae covered Bucephalandra are easier to clean manually then Anubias ime because they are more easy-carbo-resistent then anubias.
When the damage is big i take them out of the water. First remove as much as possible by hand and then give them a treatment with a syringe filled with easy carbo sollution (1part easy carbo/three parts water). Dose that directly on the leaves and rhizome and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I threw them in a rather dark tank filled with Amano shrimp eager to eat the dying algae.
Works great and in some cases you can even bring one back from the dark side... :)

The ones in your tank can still be saved i'm sure.
As long as the rhizome is healthy they will bounce back in most cases, i even revived some rhizomes without any leaves.
They are nice plants, some of them probably straight from Bornean jungle so you should not let them go to waste that easy i think...

Back