• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spirulina for Shrimp

BarryH

Does anyone use Spirulina to feed their shrimp? I bought a sample packet and not really sure how to use it.

I use Spirulina Tabs already for years. From Sera, these are the sticky tabs you can push against the glass panel and then stick and slow release. Handy actually when it comes to do a fish count and see what still present.

But then read the small letters on the package. Very little out there is 100% spirulina, it needs at least 20% spirulina contents to be effective from that perspective. My tabs are sold as Spirulina tabs but do contain only 20% the rest is Clamp powder and colour agent to make it look green.

I have no clue what the minimum amount is to legally name a product Spirulina since it probably isn't a registered trademark.

Can you share details about what exact Spirulina product you bought?

For the rest, it isn't an essential diet but it contains loads of Carotene. This stuff is very good to enhance colour in fish and other animals. When it comes to that, Bell pepper or simply paprika powder can be used as a suplement for that as well.

Last edited:
I have fed shrimp on spirulina powder. Typically was is in my daphnia and tubifex tanks. I let them take it from the surface. It could work on a small tank if the flow was turned off, and I'm pretty sure they took it from the bare glass bottom. I tend to use it more now to feed my outdoors daphnia tubs. I would be tempted at having a go at making some wafers, just the same way that you would use egg to make boilies or paste (perhaps even adding some bee pollen and rice flour).

I would be tempted at having a go at making some wafers, just the same way that you would use egg to make boilies or paste (perhaps even adding some bee pollen and rice flour).
Thanks Simon. I like the idea of being able to add Bee pollen. Never made boilies so I'll have a look on YT how to do it.

Back