• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Splash tetra paludarium

What fish live in muddy puddles?
a lot of bettas and gourami, shallow ditches and streams... not quite a puddle ;)

know the feeling for BBA on wood... would a UV make a difference?
When ive had this problem in shrimp tanks i have always left it be for 3 months or so then really go it persistently for a few weeks will direct liquid carbon and scrapping off during water change etc and it seems to go away in the fluffy form. Instead i end up with little black dots which never grow. Redmorr root is by far the worst for it. However tough to beat a curtain of Aponogetons :)

I had in a shrimp tank too. Did the lc and raised light a bit and never came back. I think bba likes acidic, tanin stained water as my wood is full on hairy lol.. It has been scrubbed, scraped and had peroxide poured over. Light is not the issue as I tried dimming lights but I only have 24watts of tmc aqua bars over the tank.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've heard uv kills the spores. Eheim do a uv filter that doesn't impede flow from the external. Might get a fizzy disc too, throw everything at it haha

I think bba likes acidic, tanin stained water as my wood is full on hairy lol..
now you mention it my old blackwater ended up very hairy...... good luck with that :lol:

Let us know how it goes with a uv. Dont fancy an SAE?? they are unbeatable for prevention.

I'm getting to quite like the furry look. As long as it doesn't move onto plants which of course it did when the tank was neglected and didn't have a light on it for a month after we moved it. Java is hardy but even it started to die under those conditions.
10f2a58138125a32f34d401875af8b6c.jpg

As I said furrrrry.

well they have settled but still no images sorry. Livestock is Copella Alberti, splash tetra, they have settled really well as i spent a couple of hours yesterday watching them jumping onto the underside of an echinodorus leaves and laying! Very cool behavior, will catch it on camera next time.
Also picked up half a dozen Beckfordii pencils today which add a nice amount of movement as well as a few more plants including more echinodorus for spawning sites.

Can't wait for the pics or a vid would be awesome :D cracking setup which the tetras will love, hope you get them breeding mate, I've long been an admirer of your livestock choices Iain.
Cheers Tim, I'm really local to amwells now so get to see some more unusual fish opposed to MA's bread and butter choices. It almost became a killi tank as they had heaps of varieties when I went over. Happy with the splashes though.

My LFS has Splash Tetra's(Copella/Copeina Arnoldi ?).Look great,but don't think they'd last long in my open top :lol:.
Same ones mate, very unassuming but like most subtle fish once they settle and you get up close the colours and patterns are really pretty. They will have to jump pretty high to get out of mine! It's really fascinating, every jump is so well thought through and planned, then they also have to flick water ever minute or so onto the eggs. They are a bunch of slags though, several females all lining up to get eggs on one leaf with the top guy.

Well I read that Tim but seems that at least one of the females was helping in the splashing department...
However the leaf lost its bounce and is now dipped in the water, I'm guessing the eggs will be gone by the time I get home.

Back