• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Splash tetra paludarium

They have been making a mess of the glass all night. Gave it a cold water change today which probably triggered it.
5cd1c6c12daa075f13deb23c8492ea25.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So I've been reminded that I had this journal as I'd forgotten entirely! A lot has changed since the last post which I'll try and summarise then update with some pics. It will be in several posts as on the phone...

I guess after about 6-9 months I had water changes down to about ever 3 months with just top ups of rain water and about that time I also had other priorities in life so it was pretty much left just to do it's thing with very little intervention. For a good while it looked a lot like this...
c7a2375feabe7e59ada28a48bb7876a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Going on from this as life took over and a baby on the way this got neglected and I stopped spraying plants which resulted in the aquatic plants above the water line being lost and the ficus, philodendron and umbrella plant took over.
937e74f53529faf059407d9430030828.jpg

Last edited:
It's then been in a similar state for a while, little care and sometimes a bit of an eyesore.
Until today...! Today it had it's first water change in I don't know how long, a good trim and planted a few sad sun baked looking peace lilys that had been fading away in a corner of the conservatory.

The above water planting does suffer a bit of mildew and mold from time to time but nothing too bad and crypt carpet just continues to go bananas.
Will now get back to dosing tropica certs daily at about 5ml.

The fish are all still happy, did lose s splash tetra about 2 months ago which I've put down to possible age? They have been in the tank over 2 years and were fully grown when purchased. I'm unsure how long they should live but given a lot of bread and butter pet trade fish go 3-5 years I'd guess it's similar??

Anyway, up to date pics..
12313d294bb1d7bb4d2487bcd2de0564.jpg
c1badeb03a9bb8a31c9b716311417dcb.jpg
20e30b56722b9801ddc158c80954ce37.jpg
d9f8fb6cea8de12ccf597215183c9d79.jpg

Great set up! Some things thrive on neglect! Do you get any baby splash tetras? Seen them the other day in a LFS, really interesting species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

looks amazing!
few questions!

How did you make the lid? did u cut the glass yourself?
Can you get more shots of the equipment?
how does the fog form? (aka do u make it with equipment? or does it appear naturally?)
What humidity % do u keep it at?
where is the filter outflow? any special tips or is a regular canister fine?

Awesome stuff!

Hi all,
3 years seems to be the most commonly reported lifespan
I've kept them a couple of times, but it has <"always ended in disaster">, and they've never lived out their potential life-span.

The last time I had them <"I raised a few"> and they grow really quickly, which suggests they probably aren't very long-lived.

cheers Darrel

Great set up! Some things thrive on neglect! Do you get any baby splash tetras? Seen them the other day in a LFS, really interesting species

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They spawn regularly but no survivors due to predation. There are very interesting fish to keep.

looks amazing!
few questions!

How did you make the lid? did u cut the glass yourself?
Can you get more shots of the equipment?
how does the fog form? (aka do u make it with equipment? or does it appear naturally?)
What humidity % do u keep it at?
where is the filter outflow? any special tips or is a regular canister fine?

Awesome stuff!
the lid came with the tank but could be cut easily at a glaziers and brackets available on ebay.
the only equipment is the JBL crystalprofi 1501 filter, inline heater and light.
Fogger was removed after about 6 months as it kept breaking, the elements would stop working so i ditched it.
Humidity is just what ever the lids create from warm water but lots of ventilation around the edges so would guess it isnt high at all. The anubias all going crispy would also support this, hence the change to terrestrial plants..
The outlet is from a spraybar over the crypts, there is an area of almost no flow at the front right of the tank but doesnt cause any issue and the plash tetras prefer that area. No special tips, just a regular canister filter.

Back