• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Splash tetra paludarium

Add a small fogger on a timer in the back corner and have it fill with fog once a day. Should help the emersed growth:)
Hey, i did run a fogger for 6 months or so but as mentioned above it kept breaking so ditched it.
It certainly did help when it was working and if i was to set up again id do it in a way that had an external fogger system and wasnt reliant on the tank water level which was half the problem. I dont know if youve used the 'in tank' ones but they are very specific on how much water covers the element - too much and no fog, not enough and it dries the element out...

Hey, i did run a fogger for 6 months or so but as mentioned above it kept breaking so ditched it.
It certainly did help when it was working and if i was to set up again id do it in a way that had an external fogger system and wasnt reliant on the tank water level which was half the problem. I dont know if youve used the 'in tank' ones but they are very specific on how much water covers the element - too much and no fog, not enough and it dries the element out...

I'm not sure if all foggers work with same principle, the ones i used were Ultrasonic permeable plates. These need to be barely in touch with the watersurface to work best. Few of them designs use a tampon to suck up water, than the tampon touches the bottom side of the fogger. They are actualy awfully simple, it has a little converter for the power and a Ultrasonic disc.. I've dismanteled one and placed the disk in a piece of tube, bought long model tampons 40mm and made the tube equaly long. Make the tampon touch the disk and put the tube with the tampon 30mm bellow the water surface.

As long as this tampon (Cotton stick) is touching water it soaks and touches the disk and you'll have fog. Now you have 30 to 40 mm play in water level

The ultrasonic disks and converter are also available as spare part..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/D20mm-113KHz-Ultrasonic-Mist-Maker-Atomizing-Fogger-Ceramic-Humidifier-3-7-12VEL/332794278349?_trkparms=aid=555018&algo=PL.SIM&ao=1&asc=20131003132420&meid=b38c3843939a4f87b59dcc13d6ac8ccb&pid=100005&rk=1&rkt=11&sd=222690925678&itm=332794278349&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The cotton sticks are from the little desk bottle type humidifiers
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Replac...23312307754?hash=item1cb5fc7e2a:rk:1:pf:0&var

But i think you get it, you can use anthing that fits the tube and soaks water and it should contact the disk. :)

Despite the tds and lack of water changes there is a hearty population of simonii simonii shrimp as well as taiwan bee culls. The taiwans dont breed but are perfectly happy, simonii breed like cherries.
Fish are all happy and active, sparring most days etc

I do feel that the tank is really showing it's age now, the wood is slowly rotting away and most of the anubias have slowly died off leaving largely ficus, pothos and peace lilys which wasn't the idea. There is also an issue with the ficus is so deep there is masses of old dead growth hidden under the new.

I've had an idea for a new scape for few years now, just need to commit....
baf83d24b0061deb6857fa8123ce703c.jpg
169915727688f706158883bd72b089e6.jpg
df02df6e52893f44c61c7cfb7019e3dc.jpg
c3e003571260e186641948e81b15d0fd.jpg
5c9c8a6e0560a46d00a240e24d548857.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hi all,I like your spot-lit Platycerium, how do you water it?

cheers Darrel
Hey Darrel, thanks, it really struggled initially as i under estimated how much light it would need, going great guns since adding the light.
Once a week I put it in the sink and soak it several times over a few hours. The spagnham moss keeps it pretty moist for the week.

I was going to ask about the Platycerium as well. I have three but they are all in pots and not mounted. Had one for years that thrived on neglect so I bought a couple more last winter. I really like them mounted on wood, did you buy it like that or did you do it yourself? if you did can you explain how please.

I have been spraying the new ones frequently and treating them like air plants and they have done really well. one is now about 2ft square and has what looks like several plants growing together so i'd like to attempt to mount one.

I was going to ask about the Platycerium as well. I have three but they are all in pots and not mounted. Had one for years that thrived on neglect so I bought a couple more last winter. I really like them mounted on wood, did you buy it like that or did you do it yourself? if you did can you explain how please.

I have been spraying the new ones frequently and treating them like air plants and they have done really well. one is now about 2ft square and has what looks like several plants growing together so i'd like to attempt to mount one.
Hey mort,
I mounted it myself. Once i made the wooden mount I added a circle of screws, only wound in half way, to the size of the fern, remove most of the soil but not all as it helps retain moisture. Then wrap the plant in spagnum moss and use green garden wire zig zagged across the spagnum to hold it in place. I initially used garden string but this rotted in 6 weeks which meant I found the fern in the floor one morning!
It's pretty simple and there are a lot of you tube videos showing the method. But do use wire as most videos show string!

Three years and 7 months this is still going. I never thought for a second this would be the case, it was always just a stop gap while I sorted out the house then set up high tech again.
The trouble is it's just so bloody easy, like I ready dont have to care for it at all... until it's crazy overgrown like now. The roots of the cyperus are taking over!

The only thing to report is that the taiwan bees are breeding tds 664 today, spotted a baby shrimp and one berried. Very unexpected, mortality of babies may not be good but who knows!

5bb9f4b33d258e59e839a4a83cab58a4.jpg
d33d85660ef78e0114e98f416ecd7fc3.jpg
a50ab87473ef89e026da9bd0281b71d5.jpg

Looks great ian and thats a long running scape if i do say. I love the look of this layout.

Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Stripped back, which made it amazingly evident the low plants had pretty much died off due to shading from the umbrella plant, ill be surprised if they come back but fingers crossed.

Cut the crypts down to the gravel, it's amazing how quickly they come back after such harsh treatment.
As for the umbrella plant, that will take no time at all to reappear.
bc3b8b5d91604b4384e8c9225d1692cb.jpg
7b49884b7e1d3ba1ffd8b597a5c89c08.jpg

Back