• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Split filter between 2 tanks

Leroy4bz

My question is, would it be feasible to put Y shaped connectors onto a Oase 350 so I could run 2 60ltr cubes? The tanks will be planted with 3 Female Betts’s in one and a Shoal of Chilli Rasboras in the other.
I also have a 300 thermo, so could have one on each but am thinking the flow would be too much.

You would need to add a separate pipe between the cubes, so a water bridge is formed, to ensure the water lines stay level. And filter guards to prevent fish from entering the pipes.

(I would be very comfortable not using a filter in planted tanks, by the way.)

My question is, would it be feasible to put Y shaped connectors onto a Oase 350 so I could run 2 60ltr cubes? The tanks will be planted with 3 Female Betts’s in one and a Shoal of Chilli Rasboras in the other.
I also have a 300 thermo, so could have one on each but am thinking the flow would be too much.
There are certain filter pipes you can use to dampen the flow. I believe they’re commonly called spin pipes.

Hi ya @Leroy4bz did you manage to try it out?

I am wondering about doing the same thing for 2 tanks (55L and 30L) - mainly for practical purposes aha. How nice if the monthly maintenance would be just 5mins cleaning the pre-filter for TWO tanks (plus 2-3 times a year cleaning the pipes etc).

With a canister filter, the water bridge between the tanks would indeed be the only feasible way provided it will never clog up. If the flow-through of this bridge becomes less than the input one tank will flood. Thus if you would use a mesh to prevent fish from crossing over you'll also provide a risk of clogging.

Obviously, if both tanks have different volumes both still should be level with each other at the top rim.

Usually, the law of communicating vessels is presented like this.
Communicating-vessels-The-project-gets-a-B-grade-A-After-The-Mean-Lean-the-project.ppm

Obviously, it works upside down as well with a bridge at the top, but then the bridge needs to be vacuumed. Exact same principle as the Tunze overflow tube from a Tunze overflow box. Level both tanks next to each other and put one end of this tube in tank one and the other in tank two, vacuum it and you'll have a bridge connection and the tanks will communicate with this connection and always stay at the same water level. Again provided the flow-trough is never restricted by any means.
Tunze-Overflow-tube.jpg

That's very interesting brainstorming there @zozo aha. I wonder did anyone try that? I would imagine it would have a lot of dead spots?

I was thinking to use a splitter/Y or T shape connector at the inlet/outlet of the cannister filter, connecting to independent set of inlet/outlet into each tank. By theory it should work 🤣

This is just a bad idea. All around. Im sorry. There are so many cons that the one pro of only using one filter can hardly be worth it.
I dont think many people have tried it because again, its not a good idea if you give it a good think through.
Water and pumps and how fluid moves is unfortunately not like math, where 1+1=2.
In this case its more like 2 tanks divided by 1 pump = wet floor

Good grace yes aha. I guess I was pigeon holed by keep thinking on how potentially the setup can be done but I didn't think about what will happen once I turned on the filter lol. It is hilarious now I think about it 😂

I wonder did anyone try that?

I did it with tubs instead of aquariums and it works also simply without splitting the filter hose, by pumping the water from tub 1 into the canister filter that exits again in tub 3 and then the water just circulates over all tubes and tubs and 1 canister filter. (The filter isn't yet in the picture, but I used it).
DSCF9529.JPG

Used it to overwinter plants and fish from the garden tubs, the fish also used it to cross over from one tub to the other.

Also use the same setup in the garden
img_20230526_143301123-jpg.jpg

But it has a sump filter with 2 tubs and 1 tank connected.

That's the second option you have.... :) Build a sump filter and you can overflow several tanks to one sump filter with one pump if you like. Then you'll pump water to the tanks and gravity brings it back to the sump.

Last edited:
This is one way of doing one filter and two tanks. Still has a failure mode of if connecting pipe gets blocked it will pump the 2nd tanks contents in to the first and onto the floor !!!

1688456577054.png

Personally buy two smaller filters, one for each tank, then if pipes get blocked etc nothing will empty out onto the floor !!!

That's the second option you have.... :) Build a sump filter and you can overflow several tanks to one sump filter with one pump if you like. Then you'll pump water to the tanks and gravity brings it back to the sump.

This ☝️ you beat me to it @zozo - have a large enough sump, and you can run as many tanks off it as you like.

(I would be very comfortable not using a filter in planted tanks, by the way.)
Or a sponge filter, powered to give flow. Aquael Pat Mini would be perect. One in each tank.
I realise I'm becoming an evangelist for this filter. I do not repent.
If you want to go a little larger, there's the Aquael Turbo 500. I've just added one to a tank and so far very pleased. Flow is up a little from the Pat Mini, there's the added benefit of a small media canister, (supplied, optional). Powerhead only slightly larger than Pat. Different flow adjustment much easier to use. Can take same sponges as Pat (supplied is bigger and very coarse, like the Pats) Overall significantly bulkier, though.

Or a sponge filter, powered to give flow. Aquael Pat Mini would be perect. One in each tank.
I realise I'm becoming an evangelist for this filter. I do not repent.
If you want to go a little larger, there's the Aquael Turbo 500. I've just added one to a tank and so far very pleased. Flow is up a little from the Pat Mini, there's the added benefit of a small media canister, (supplied, optional). Powerhead only slightly larger than Pat. Different flow adjustment much easier to use. Can take same sponges as Pat (supplied is bigger and very coarse, like the Pats) Overall significantly bulkier, though.
Yes I'm a fan of the Pat Mini too as it is quite versatile to be used for giving flow at different direction/position in the tank. And the exposed sponge is perfect for shrimps to nom on - overall great value.

Back