splitting anubias

Discussion in 'Plant Help' started by Nick16, 5 Nov 2009.

1. Nick16

Nick16 Member

hi guys, i have acouple of very large anubias (rhizomes) and i would like to diving them up and replant them in another tank. What is the best way of me doing this, as i dont just want to cut the whole rhizome in half for fear of killing both halves!

how do i do it?

2. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Sharp scissors or preferbly a scalpel.

3. Behold

Behold Member

I split them by hand and break them where they naturally split. as long as it going in to a good tank. I have broken many with no issue.

4. Gill

Gill Member

Yep Never had any probs breaking them with my hands, I usually use a nail to snap them.

5. Barry Wang

Barry Wang Newly Registered

When you spit anubias do they grow from both ends? i meen will the two broken ends grow out? I have a large anubias now which just grows bigger at one end and am thinking of splitting it to attach elsewhere in the same tank. Thanks

6. Goodygumdrops

Goodygumdrops Member

This interests me too,obviously,if you cut off the growing end,that end still grows in that direction (I've planted a couple the wrong way round in hindsight!!),but what happens if you have two cut ends?

7. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    They will grow from a dormant bud in the leaf axil, so you can work which way the new shoot will grow. If there isn't a leaf present the leaf scar and dormant bud should still be visible.
    cheers Darrel