• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Splitting CO2 between two tanks

Steve Smith

I'm wondering if I can split the CO2 from my 2kg FE between two tanks. The plan would be to split the CO2 after the needle valve, one branch going off to a bubble counter - check valve - tank, the other branch going off to a second needle valve (smaller tank, lower pressure required) then bubble counter, check valve etc. CO2 will be on 24hrs.

Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

I think you might have problems balancing the CO2 like that. I'd split the CO2 before the needle valves and have the two needle valves both feeding after the regulator or solenoid if you have one. You'll then be able to set the regulator and tweak both needle valves more easily I imagine.

I was looking at doing the same by using a splitter from Aquatic Magic off Ebay and then there's a needle valve and bubble counter fitted to each branch.

I saw those a while back, but if you read the blurb I believe they are designed to work with a specific style of CO2 setup.

"Please note that Co2 splitter is NOT compatible with manual regulator. It can only fit electronic regulators."

Not sure what that supposed to mean but doesn't sound so great.

I guess a couple of these should do the trick:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Needle-valve-Co2- ... m153.l1262

I thought the whole point of having a check valve was to prevent the water from going back into the solenoid. From the position of your check valve I think the water from your bubble counter will flow back into your solenoid as the check valve is preventing water from returning from the tank into the bubble counter.

The ones from aquatic magic is fine but if you look carefully at them, you will realise that some solenoid valve won't be able to connect to these splitter. I know the one from Lunapet won't do as they have a different thread

As I've said in a previous post, this line on the auction for the AquaticMagic bubble counters always makes me worried:

"Please note that Co2 splitter is NOT compatible with manual regulator. It can only fit electronic regulators."

Do you think it might mean it needs to be attached to a solenoid, as the fitment is wrong for the regulator, or is it refering to some fancy electronic reg? Its a bit confusing.

I did confirm with them and they said electronic regulator is regulator with solenoid in this context. But I think it only applies to certain solenoid. Solenoid valve from lunapet won't fit onto the splitter whereas the one from aquatic magic would

Back