• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Splitting CO2

gratts

I'm just wondering what the easiest way to split one CO2 canister into multiple tanks(96L and 40L) is.
Is it literally just a case of putting a Y-splitter on the airline from the reg, and then putting a needle valve inline from each piece of airline?
Would I need special Y-splitters, or would those used for air pumps be sufficient?
If it is a case of needing a couple of needle valves then where is the cheapest place to get them - I've found these on ebay - dunno if there are any cheaper?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CO2-Needle-Valve- ... 1|294%3A50

Cheers

I'd buy a decent Y splitter personally, but you might be fine with normal airline connectors, as long as they are one solid piece. If they have moving parts they'll probably leak. Not a problem if it's just air of course...

Those needle valves should do fine too :)

Cheers guys!
That looks pretty neat LD, nice find! :D
Bit more expensive, but for all the hassle it'll save it's probably worth it!
Do you have one or not? Looks pretty solidly built so can't imagine it will be shoddy.

gratts said:
Cheers guys!
That looks pretty neat LD, nice find! :D
Bit more expensive, but for all the hassle it'll save it's probably worth it!
Do you have one or not? Looks pretty solidly built so can't imagine it will be shoddy.
Don't have one but if I needed one that would be the one I would buy, enables you to regulate both feeds to the level you want, rather than using a Y piece and hope for the best which CO2 levels you will get in each feed.

LondonDragon said:

LD did you read the information on the listing it states:-

# This Co2 splitter is compatible with Electronic Co2 regulators ONLY.
# Needle valves are attached for fine tuning the flow rate of Co2.
# Note: Co2 Splitter is Incompatible with Manual Regulators because the polyurethane tubes can only withstand low pressure.
# Note: Co2 Splitter is Incompatible with DIY yeast bottles.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

I recently had my CO2 split and found that the levels to each diffuser were a little inconsistent.

I put this down to differing back pressures of the diffusers!!!

As most of us will know from practice when we clean the diffuser and then reconnect the bubble rate can be slightly higher for a day or so.

Also when I use different diffusers and swap weekly the bps can be vastly different.

What I had was the barbed connector, then 2 inline needle valves. 1 went to a Nano diffuser and the other to Rhinox 2000. I would set up the needle valves to the rates I wanted. Next day when CO2 switched on the Nano would often receive nothing and the Rhinox receive more. I guess 'easier path' etc.

Therefore I now don't swap my diffusers weekly. I use the same one and clean it weekly. I also changed the Nano to Non CO2. If I were to turn it back again I would use 2 seperate CO2 setups :)

AC

I have used a splitter and separate needle valves before and found the whole system constantly needed tweaking. Personally, it is unlikely that I will try this method again.

Dave.

Not quite sure why you are having such problems with splitters. I've been using this
splitter from Aquatic Magic for a couple of years now without any problems. Has been exceptionally reliable for me and never needs any adjustment, unless of course I want to adjust bubble rate. One line goes into an external reactor that has almost zero back pressure and the other goes in to a diffuser which has quite a bit of back pressure. Adjusting either one makes no difference to the other. Low pressure side of regulator is at 1.5 bar.

James

Back