• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

splitting Eriocaulon Polaris

erwin123

erio.jpg

My E. Polaris seems to be growing randomly like hairgrass, unlike the very orderly growth of the E. Cinerum I've seen in other journals . As this will be my first time propagating this plant, could I check whether this plant is ready to be divided and can I divide it along the red line indicated. or do I need to wait for it to grow bigger? I've seen the 2hr Aquarist article but the sample pics are quite types of Erios, so just checking....

yes, split along that line, but i'd wait a few weeks, as it is easy to damage the plant when it is so small. @erwin123 cheers,

thanks! hope to speed up their growth. in your experience, are Erios 'root feeders' that benefit from rich soil? (I may need to supplement my soil with root tabs)

My E. Polaris seems to be growing randomly like hairgrass
completely read past this. was the plant from tc? or a very small clump? if so it's very hard to differentiate between tiny plants that you often plant 2-3 plants in one go
Erios 'root feeders' that benefit from rich soil?
yes they do. is this 10 year old aquasoil? if so i'd replace some of it or add some root tabs.

completely read past this. was the plant from tc? or a very small clump? if so it's very hard to differentiate between tiny plants that you often plant 2-3 plants in one go

yes they do. is this 10 year old aquasoil? if so i'd replace some of it or add some root tabs.

It was not TC, just a small clump I got from the LFS. It has grown since then but will wait for it to grow a bit bigger. have added some root tabs.

have also 'refreshed' the very top layer of the aquasoil.

DSC00532 07 aug erio.JPG
DSC00536 07 aug erio.JPG

ok, i've either propagated the Erio, or I've killed it. Will probably need a few weeks to find out :rolleyes:

ok, i've either propagated the Erio, or I've killed it. Will probably need a few weeks to find out :rolleyes:
looks just fine to me. i've done much riskier splits and they all come out fine

Back