• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spot and transparent

Jun Xhu

Seedling
IMG_20170320_145417.jpg

Hii all, i'm new member from Indonesia, sorry if my english is not good.
Straurogyen repens, spot and transparent,
Is this caused by nutrient deficiency or are there other causes?
133 gallon tank
Light 136watt high power led
7 hours lighting
Co2 6bps
Once a week water change (RO water)
Liquid fertilizer once in 4 days 8 pumps

Rasbora galaxy and rasbora emerald fish
Red cherry shrimp and assasin snail.
Well i don't think the fish, shrimp and snail causing it, what i think is it more focused on nutrient deficiency, several leaf is started to melt.

Are you re-hardening or re-mineralising or cutting your RO water before use ?

Sorry if i'm wrong, Isn't RO water is very soft water?
Yes but shouldn't (even musn't) be really using RO water as is, you must harden it/re-mineralise it before use or else you will be susceptible severe pH fluctuations variations which is not good for plants or fish.

You must re-mineralise RO water before use.

Commercially use something like this (I think).
https://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/seachem-equilibrium-300g-p-97.html?cPath=544_40_229

Or mix your own.
http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

Or mix 50:50 (or whatever) with tap water.

Or put limestone/coral gravel/chicken grit in the filter/tank.

I therefore suspect issues in nutrient take up due to RO water ?????

In this case pure RO water that i use can be the cause of nutrient take up?

In this case pure RO water that i use can be the cause of nutrient take up?
Yes it causes severe nutrient issues for plants, as the nutrients migrate from the plants to the water via osmosis, rather than the other way. You must re-mineralise RO water before use.

Why are you using RO anyway ?

Yes it causes severe nutrient issues for plants, as the nutrients migrate from the plants to the water via osmosis, rather than the other way. You must re-mineralise RO water before use.

Why are you using RO anyway ?

I thought using RO water that have low TDS or almost 0 TDS is good for the plants and fish, well it turns out my thoughts was wrong isn't?

I thought using RO water that have low TDS or almost 0 TDS is good for the plants and fish, well it turns out my thoughts was wrong isn't?
Please read something like this ?

http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_109/ro-freshwater.htm

As you see tap water contains many thing essential elements for plants and fish.

If in the UK the use of RO is a mute point as standard tap water is fine for 99% of all plants and 99% of all fish, provided dechlorinator is used.

People only use RO here, so they can generally control 100% accurately the water parameters by adding re-minerilising salts to the RO, for growing difficult plants and breeding difficult fish.

Remember an RO unit does not dechlorinate the incoming water, in fact will slowly be destroyed the chlorine/chloramine so a suitable "DeChlor" pre-filter must be used. Also if you run your unit too fast with chloramine present, the pre-filter will break it down to chlorine and ammonia and the ammonia will pass right through the RO unit, leading to "deadly RO" water. So you must really test you RO before use for chlorine and/or ammonia. Can also be done with a TDS meter of course. You either use something like Prime to remove chlorine and/or ammonia, or do what most fish shops do, leave for 24hours before use.

Back