• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spray Bar and Tall Background Plants

NayrP

Hi All,

I am thinking about adding another filter to my setup to improve overall flow in my tank and have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me out with. I have a 180L Juwel Rio currently running an Eheim Experience 350 and an Experience 150 and I would like to replace the 150 with another 350 as not all of my plants are swaying with the current setup and I have a few dead spots. I have seen many people suggesting to use spray bars and I really like the idea of doing something like that. The concensus is to place the spray bars along the back of the tank (ideally they would cover the entire length of the tank) and point them toward the front to create a circular flow pattern that flows across the top and down the front of the tank. The one issue I see is that I have some taller plants in the background of my tank that reach the surface. Does anyone have experience placing spray bars behind tall background plants? Is this just going to negate the benefits of using a spraybar? Most heavily planted tanks I have seen have a lilly pipe at the front directing flow across the tank rather than front to back (maybe for the same reason?).

Here was my idea.
Flow Diagram.png

I am injecting CO2 currently via an UP Aqua Inline Diffusor. Would it make sense to add a second one to the second filter to improve CO2 distribution or should one be enough?

If spray bars were not an option, how would you do a two filter setup to optimize flow? Here is a current picture of my setup

20200809203725.jpg

Thanks in advance,
Ryan

In my 75 I have two filters with Lily Tubes at each rear corner, one with a skimmer one without. Outflow goes in a pattern that creates a circular flow. CO2 is inline in only one of the filters. I have discarded spray bars along time ago. The recirculating fan thingy is not needed with two filters. I have just set up a new tank with one filter and the flow is even around the tank from top to bottom. https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/new-project-water-just-added.62065/#post-611952

I am thinking about adding another filter to my setup to improve overall flow in my tank and have a few questions that maybe you guys can help me out with. I have a 180L Juwel Rio currently running an Eheim Experience 350 and an Experience 150 and I would like to replace the 150 with another 350 as not all of my plants are swaying with the current setup and I have a few dead spots. I have seen many people suggesting to use spray bars and I really like the idea of doing something like that. The concensus is to place the spray bars along the back of the tank (ideally they would cover the entire length of the tank) and point them toward the front to create a circular flow pattern that flows across the top and down the front of the tank. The one issue I see is that I have some taller plants in the background of my tank that reach the surface. Does anyone have experience placing spray bars behind tall background plants? Is this just going to negate the benefits of using a spraybar? Most heavily planted tanks I have seen have a lilly pipe at the front directing flow across the tank rather than front to back (maybe for the same reason?).
Hi,
I see no reason why you can't implement the scheme even with background plants. There will be some disturbance but so what?

Ideally, CO2 should be distributed in both, but this adds a lot of complication. I would try just with one and see how it goes.

You can also add a Koralia or similar to supplement the weaker side in lieu of upgrading the filter. Try the less expensive options first and see how it goes.

Cheers,

The only issue with your setup, inlet on left feeding spray bar on right is you will have exceptionally long (possibly too long) section of piping, "crossing over the flows". Any extra lengths of piping reduces the flow from the nice expensive filters you have purchased. So you would probably be better having one filter for left side of tank and other for right side in order to keep pipework as short as possible, like in my sketch below.
Bing tank3.png

Also if doing CO2 injection, you need a set up as above so you can easily balance the injection rate to each side.

Thanks for the input guys! I made some custom acrylic spray bars this week that each cover half of the tank and clip together in the middle so that it looks like one long piece. I am for now supplementing the lower flow side with a powerhead as you suggested Ceg. Plants aren't being blown around too much and I am seeing much better CO2 mist distribution in the tank. I only have one inline diffuser running on the more powerful filter for now but am thinking of getting a CO2 reactor in the near future (that would hook up also only to one side). Here are a few pictures of the current setup. Really liking how these spray bars blend in to the background.
16004303737332578130735252122386.jpg
16004304186831771857721917843800.jpg

Back