• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spraybar and skimmer inlet

I really couldn’t say Andrew. I had a large Oxydator in one of my tanks many years ago and I think it did a good job of adding additional Oxygen to the water. I only have shrimp in my Nano at the moment and couldn’t help noticing that many shrimp keepers use them so I thought I’d give it a try. The Mini isn’t expensive and I’ve always got 12% H2O2 on hand for other uses so it’s no problem diluting some for use in the Oxydator.
Do you just use your own chemicals in it then or buy the official refills?

I’m still using the two small bottles that come with it, they are marked 5.9% Hydrogen Peroxide. As soon as they are gone I’ll be using the stuff I get on eBay. I buy 5 Litre bottles of 12% for various jobs around the house and as a mouth wash diluted to about 2%.

I'll have to do some more research @Aqua sobriquet I'm still not quite sure how they work, whether you have to replace anything else etc but if they oxygenate the water that simply could be a good thing over a steriliser - unsure what anyone else thinks?

The clear plastic container is 90% filled with H2O2, fitted with a lid with a tiny hole in it then secured upside down into the base. Once inside the aquarium a Ceramic pellet Catalyst inside the container reacts with the liquid producing Oxygen. The pressure increase causes H2O2 to drip out of the bottom of the container. This expelled H2O2 turns into Oxygen and water.

I believe both the Catalyst “pellets” and the base are made of a Ceramic material containing Titanium Dioxide.

The clear plastic container is 90% filled with H2O2, fitted with a lid with a tiny hole in it then secured upside down into the base. Once inside the aquarium a Ceramic pellet Catalyst inside the container reacts with the liquid producing Oxygen. The pressure increase causes H2O2 to drip out of the bottom of the container. This expelled H2O2 turns into Oxygen and water.

I believe both the Catalyst “pellets” and the base are made of a Ceramic material containing Titanium Dioxide.
Do you have to replace anything else aside from the Hydrogen Peroxide?

No Andrew. Depending on whether you use one or two catalyst pellets (2 are supplied) determines how quickly the H2O2 is used up. I’m getting several weeks with 2 at the moment. You can I’m sure also alter the strength of the H2O2 if you want to experiment. As I say they aren’t expensive, I paid £14.95 inc postage on eBay.

Back