• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Spraybar location

Twisted Melon

My setup will have 2 filters, so 2 outputs connected to a spraybar each. Both outlets will have its own CO2 feed - as per ian_m’s diagram.

I was thinking of one of the following setups for the spraybars.

1. Each spray bar half the length of the tank. Both at the same level on the back glass, near the top pointing towards the front glass.

2. Each spraybar the full length of the tank. One underneath the other on the back glass, near the top pointing towards the front glass.

3. One full length spraybar, on the back glass, near the top pointing towards the front glass.
One full length spraybar, at the bottom on the back glass, pointing up towards the other spraybar. So it will still be in the same flow direction as the other?

I know all tanks are different and flow is disrupted by hard Scape etc, so there’s no difinitive answer. But I’d be interested in people’s opinions.

Thanks

Ah yes sorry. It’s 137cm long.

I see JBL do a modular spraybar so was going to use that I think. Or is that a bad idea?

Acrylic looks the best if you want a go at making your own.
It is not that easy unless you have tools & you are pretty handy with them, trying to get the holes in a dead straight line can be tricky!
When I have made them, I use electrical tape to strap the acrylic tube to a piece of 25mm x 25mm wood & use a simple jig on my drill stand.

I don’t have access to a stand drill sadly.

I see Eheim do a black semi transparent modular one. That may look ok as I think I’m going to have my back panel black anyway.

Option 1 will be the easiest to set up and maintain i think.

I think you’re correct that 1 would be the easiest. I was just wondering if there would be a benefit to flow with number 3?

I’d be interested in people’s opinions.
Option 1 or a derivative of it. If you are to make your own you can make it look as one.
I see JBL do a modular spraybar so was going to use that I think. Or is that a bad idea?
I brought some and what I received was a load of rubbish as the first photo will show you - like a banana!
I was just wondering if there would be a benefit to flow with number 3?
If you have your spraybar set up correctly as in option 1 then it should create flow in a circular motion. I have rocks in the way as you will see in the second photo but flow still seems to carry on in a circular motion; I can tell this from the bubbles the twinstar creates.
It is not that easy unless you have tools & you are pretty handy with them, trying to get the holes in a dead straight line can be tricky!
If you can get access to a pillar drill it is easy to make a spraybar yourself - I'm sure if you ask your friends someone will have one you can borrow for a weekend.
You can buy PVC pipe in various sizes and all kinds of fittings - the only draw back is it's grey but I painted mine, suction cups you can get from ebay at a fraction of the cost of the JBL type ones.
I went a bit further than foxfish and put a fence on the pillar drill (pic 3) then by simply using another piece of wood screwed some pipe clips to it using a drill bit in the pillar drill to make sure the clips were centralised to the drill bit (pic 4) then all you need to do is put your piece of pipe in the clips and every hole you drill will be central (pic 5) I even made my intakes this way (pic 6). Pic 7 just shows you what it looked like before I filled it, it comes apart for cleaning too.
If you have any questions then just ask and I will try to help.

20171119_090254.jpg
20180305_155313.jpg
20171222_093220.jpg
20171222_093331.jpg
20171222_093348.jpg
intake.jpg
tank.jpg

Back