• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staghorn Algae Challenge

Re: Staghorne Algae Challenge

I've not had any problems with a 3X overdose routine - but that was just with common tetras and dwarf chiclids, nothing exotic.

Cheers,

Clive,

Thanks for you continued support on this!

Andy

Hope you get it beat.

On a not very useful note, you could save yourself 11% of the time it takes you to type the word if you spelt it staghorn (the usual spelling, no 'e').

:D

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
Hope you get it beat.

On a not very useful note, you could save yourself 11% of the time it takes you to type the word if you spelt it staghorn (the usual spelling, no 'e').

:D

Mark

Thanks Mark! :crazy:

ceg4048 said:
Hi Andy,
You do need to get rid of the staghorn that's there. If you're inhibited in overdosing Easycarbo because of the shrimp then you'll have to attack it during water changes. Use a spray bottle or paint brush with the liquid diluted. JamesC suggests a 3:1 water to liquid mix. Spray directly on the expose areas when the water level is low, wait 5 minutes or so and then refill. Do this several times a week.

Your filter outlet also seems as if it's just an open tube pointed along the long axis of the tank. I'll bet the plants on the far right are doing OK. Your problem however is on the lower left. The Koralia is good but the CO2 concentration will still be much weaker. This appears to be a distribution problem so I would try the spraybar mounted along the back wall so that your effluent comes towards the front glass and will be deflected down towards the substrate. Might also want to continue playing with the diffuser position as well.

Cheers,

Clive

With ref to your spray bar comment what benefit will that bring?

Andy

Tank is only 6 weeks or so old, still tweaking the CO2 and getting things stable.
A little algae issue is common.

More water changes(cannot over do those), good ferts and good CO2.

More of the same, try 2-3x a week water changes, particularly in the morning after lights come on.
Easy Carb/Excel etc, some good trimming etc.

No rush, just keep after it, it will go away as you focus more on plants.

Regards,
tom Barr

plantbrain said:
Tank is only 6 weeks or so old, still tweaking the CO2 and getting things stable.
A little algae issue is common.

More water changes(cannot over do those), good ferts and good CO2.

More of the same, try 2-3x a week water changes, particularly in the morning after lights come on.
Easy Carb/Excel etc, some good trimming etc.

No rush, just keep after it, it will go away as you focus more on plants.

Regards,
tom Barr

Thanks Tom, i initially worried about doing to many water changes, i will keep them up.

My i ask why you suggest water changes once my lights have come on? What benefit does that bring?

Thanks

Andyh

Hi all,

Thread revival here...

I too have staghorn infestation. I had to resort to peroxide to kill most of the staghorn.
I have a 200L tank with cO2. I am dosing with APT complete.
I had to add an airstone to my tank as I was finding my fish dead in the morning. After I added the airstone no fish were dying. The airstone goes on 1hour after Co2 goes off and remains on till the following day 1 hour before lights go on.
Could this be the reason my staghorn keeps reappearing?

Should I introduce Excel to my dosing?

Hi all,
I had to add an airstone to my tank as I was finding my fish dead in the morning. After I added the airstone no fish were dying. The airstone goes on 1hour after Co2 goes off and remains on till the following day 1 hour before lights go on.
I'm sorry to hear about your fish and I'm pleased you've obviously found the solution. As well as adding oxygen, the air stone will also outgas any residual excess CO2.

I'm not a CO2 user, but a bit more surface ripple might help, although you will use more CO2.

It is a bit strange, usually low dissolved oxygen problems occur in non-planted tanks, mainly because planted tanks are fully saturated with oxygen at the end of the photoperiod.
Could this be the reason my staghorn keeps reappearing?
Probably not directly, but now a strange question, what filter media do you have?

cheers Darrel

Sometimes I get a little bit of staghorn growing on some pieces of lava rock I have some very slow growing mosses on, but if it's growing on something attached to hardscape that can be moved theres a very easy and effective solution - I just take the rocks out and let them sit exposed to air for a while until they just begin to dry out before putting them back in the water. It doesnt harm the moss but once it's back in the water the staghorn turns bright pink/purple almost immediately and then the shrimp and snails eat it.

Back