• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Standard T8's good enough?

Wallace

Hi guys I've just introduced myself in the newbie section, see thread http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=20471

Now my Vision 180 tank is one of the older models fitted with the T8 tubes instead of the newer T5's. I have fitted reflectors and the lighting has improved as you'd expect, will this lighting set up now be good enough to grow more demanding species of plants? I don't have any in mind at the moment, but I would like to add some colour, something other than green. I did try to grow Ludwigia Repens but it just rotted away after a while, although I suspect this wasn't just down to lighting.

Would I be better off replacing the lighting hood for the more expensive T5's, or am I ok with the standard T8's and reflectors?

Thanks in advance

Adam

Hi Wallace, and welcome.
I would think that two t8's with reflectors will be fine for many species, but youll get slower growth. Most important is to ensure good c02 levels, well distributed.
Upgrading to t5's will definitely give more scope as most plants grow with this level of light, but again the c02, flow and distribution must be spot on. Light intensity drives the plants needs for c02 and ferts, so higher light = more c02, ferts etc required. One thing im learning is that its best to use the minimum amount of light you can get away with as this allows more tolerance, the plants grow slower therfore less pruning and obviously it all costs less..... less ferts, less c02, less light!
Wallace said:
I did try to grow Ludwigia Repens but it just rotted away after a while, although I suspect this wasn't just down to lighting.
Yeah plants failing like this is nearly always down to poor c02 flow and distribution rather than poor lighting.
Hope this helps.
For more detailed lighting discussions have a look in the tutorials section at the lighting thread:
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2271
Cheerio,
Ady

Ok thanks for that. I hadn't planned on upgrading anytime soon as the T5 units aren't cheap. I did suspect that the demise of the Ludwigia was down to my lack of Co2, but then I was hoping that dosing with liquid carbon would be enough until I could afford a Co2 unit. I have ordered a DD Co2 system this morning which will be with me tomorrow.

I'll just stick it out with the standard lighting until I've given it a grow with proper gas injection. As for distribution and flow rates etc I think I've got that sorted, the Fluval 205 is coving one end of the tank and then my Tetratec EX 700 is coving the other end with the spray bar angled down towards the planted area, the plants are moving gently from the water flow so hopefully I've atleast got that right.

Thanks for your input

Adam

Hi Adam,
yeah tell me about it, the Juwel t5 upgrade is expensive, i looked at it for my old rio 180!
Regards the spraybar, try pointing the flow directly across the surface, this will then move the water down the front glass, and roll across the substrate and back up towards the spraybar again, thus giving the most efficient flow distribution throughout.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Ady34 said:
Regards the spraybar, try pointing the flow directly across the surface, this will then move the water down the front glass, and roll across the substrate and back up towards the spraybar again, thus giving the most efficient flow distribution throughout.

The spray bar is mounted on the side of the tank not the back, I decided to use only half the length of it so that I could mount it on the side so as to push water flow directly at the plants.

Thanks for your input thus far Ady, much appreciated.

Adam

I currently have a juwel rekord and upgraded from T8's to T5's, the difference is huge.

I bought a new replacement hood for a Rio and it wasn't cheap, about £90 if i remember correctly, however it came with the light unit, hood and bulbs, so not bad compared to the cost of a nice quality branded luminaire, what is the length of your tank?

Back