• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Start up. Initial fertiliser dosing.

Ian61

Hello. Have now filled my tank and have a very few plants, kindly donated by JohnQ. These plants , until I get more, are going to use very small amounts of fertiliser. Question:should I still use a full dose(made up from dry salts) to provide the normal concentration in the tank water and then just add much reduced doses subsequently?
Ian

Sorry, should’ve added , I’m using Carib sea eco complete and sand. No ferts in substrate thus far.

Hi all,
Question:should I still use a full dose(made up from dry salts) to provide the normal concentration in the tank water and then just add much reduced doses subsequently?
Also low tech/no CO2
I like the <"Duckweed Index"> in low tech tanks. You just use the <"leaf colour and health"> of a floating plant as an indication of when nutrient addition is required.

You can add some fraction of EI dosing I might add a 1/4 of the full dose for starters.
Caribsea Eco Complete
I don't think it has any <"nitrogen (N) in it?">

cheers Darrel

I believe the light energy, and duration, will determine how much fertilizer the plants might use.
Would not go crazy with light intensity or duration, in low tech Non CO2.
For low tech Non CO2 affairs I have run over long period, I used daily estimative index values for CO2 injected tank my size, but only once a week .

Thank you all. Will go with 1/4 dose to start and then lower doses til things start growing. Fingers crossed.

should I still use a full dose(made up from dry salts) to provide the normal concentration in the tank water and then just add much reduced doses subsequently?

Well that's how I did it on my 500l, made the dose for say Full EI levels 100ml x3 a week then just reduced the dose, nice thing about 100ml dose is doing a percentage is so easy

Back