• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Staurogyne - Help ID this deficiency?

subterranean

Hi all (first post!) :D

I've been running a low-tech 12 gallon 24*12*12 tank for a few months now, and all is going well except the Staurogyne Repens, which is showing signs of some sort of deficiency. I'm dosing EasyCarbo and ProFito as per the dosage instructions (so 1ml per day carbo, 5ml per week profito), and i've used Tropica Plant Nutrition + capsules.

Lighting is 1x15W + 1x13W T8 Tubes on 7 hours a day. Unfortunately I don't have any testing stuff so I don't know about the water parameters, but I've read elsewhere on this board that it's possible to diagnose a deficiency just by looking at the plants?

repensclose.jpg

repensclose2.jpg

Profito does not contain Phosphates or Nitrogen - are these the likely culprits? If so, in what form should I get them?

Many thanks - advice greatly appreciated.

easerthegeezer said:
Almost certainly c02, stauro tends to be a bit of a challenge for many.
it is worth dosing a complete fert also.
Welcome to the forum.

+1 to that. Decent CO2 and CO2 distribution (usually aided by decent flow) and good ferts made all the difference to my stauro which used to be pathetic and I lusted after the lush growths that others achieved. Now I looked at mine today and thought "sh1t, thats good enough to sell" but this time round I am pruning and replanting :thumbup:

Its not beyond the realms of most of us though so keep going.

Thanks for the replies. Guess this isn't one for a low-tech then!

subterranean said:
Thanks for the replies. Guess this isn't one for a low-tech then!

Your tank is around 50+ liters? You could increase the liquid carbon dose if you don't have sensitive critters. Reducing light duration/intensity and adding some floating plants would help.

I find staurogyne just drops it's lower leaves for me in non co2 tanks.

I agree with Spyder that you should be able to grow it low tech. George Farmer set up an low tech nano for a Fluval video so it ought to be a possibility. Up the easy carbo and use something like TPN+ :)

As far as I can see it is Potassium deficiency. I see also early signs for iron deficiency. Profito does not contain enough Iron or Potassium for the needs of Staurogine sp. I use extra Iron and potassium ferts to keep it running.

Aquadream said:
As far as I can see it is Potassium deficiency. I see also early signs for iron deficiency. Profito does not contain enough Iron or Potassium for the needs of Staurogine sp. I use extra Iron and potassium ferts to keep it running.

Hey dude. Can you elaborate on why you are attributing it to this ? Not questioning your opinion, but am keen to understand the link between what you see and the deficiency you have identified for learning from more than anything :) Cheers.

Antipofish said:
Aquadream said:

Hey dude. Can you elaborate on why you are attributing it to this ? Not questioning your opinion, but am keen to understand the link between what you see and the deficiency you have identified for learning from more than anything :) Cheers.
As far as I can see from the picture the older leafs have small pin holes some of them and others have decomposing old leafs. The pin holes are always K+ deficiency in Staurogyne. The decomposing leafs is luck of Iron.
I have a lot of Stauro in my tanks and what I say here is only from observing this plant development.

If all other plants seem to be fine then I would try supplementing Iron first for a few weeks. 0.2ppm of Fe per day should do the job.

Aquadream said:
Antipofish said:
Aquadream said:

As far as I can see from the picture the older leafs have small pin holes some of them and others have decomposing old leafs. The pin holes are always K+ deficiency in Staurogyne. The decomposing leafs is luck of Iron.
I have a lot of Stauro in my tanks and what I say here is only from observing this plant development.

If all other plants seem to be fine then I would try supplementing Iron first for a few weeks. 0.2ppm of Fe per day should do the job.

Happy to take your word for it ! I saw your last tank which I missed out on some of the plants from sadly. I know you know your plants matey :) Cheers for the explanation.

spyder said:
Your tank is around 50+ liters? You could increase the liquid carbon dose if you don't have sensitive critters. Reducing light duration/intensity and adding some floating plants would help.

I find staurogyne just drops it's lower leaves for me in non co2 tanks.

I have four Amano shrimp, 5 red phantom tetras, and 5 pygmy or dwarf corydoras (I just realised i'm not actually sure which - time for another thread!). Should these be ok with an up'ed dosage of Easycarbo? If so, would 2ml/day be more like it?

Thanks again all for the replies :)

Back